Pregnant after 35
Options

Positive T21 screen choose NOT to have CVS or Amnio?

We got our 1st tri screening results back yesterday.  Everything at the NT scan looked great. 

My risk of T18 is 1 in 10,000.  Thank God.

My risk of T21 at age 36 (delivery at 37) is 1 in 120, or .8% based on age alone.  Now that I got my results back this was adjusted to 1 in 145 or .68%.  This is positive.  In order to get a negative screen I would need to be 1 in 220 or .45% chance.  My HCG was elevated, PAPP-A was normal.

I hate this numbers game and almost cancelled the tests . . . I have friends that have gotten false positives AND a false negative. 

We were offered amnio or CVS but we will likely not have those tests done, I just don't want to do any invasive testing unless absolutely necessary.  I think we'll just see what the level II u/s reveals. 

Anyone else choose NOT to have the recommended diagnostic tests?   TIA ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Positive T21 screen choose NOT to have CVS or Amnio?

• Options
    I can't answer your question as I had an amnio when my DS was 1:29. But I just wanted to offer T&P!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Girl P - 11/15/10
  • Options
    i have also heard of the false positive and the stress involved!  thankfully mine came out ok but i've had friends decide to do it then others to not do it.  the ones that did had worse results than you and bad ultrasounds.  the ones that didn't had high risk factors but nothing definate.  my good friend stated she didn't want to because regardless of the results she was keeping the baby.  thankfully all results were good, i would probably take your approach and wait for another u/s. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had a 1 in 30 chance for downs. We waited until our level II ultrasound and she checked out perfectly and opted not to go forward with an amnio. I agree about the numbers game. It really messes with your mind! Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Options
    Our NT results came back with a 1 in 45 chance for Down Syndrome.  We opted out of CVS and decided to wait and do a follow up blood test (at 16W) and ultrasound (at 18W).  The blood work came back great and we were given a 1 in 900 chance.  However, at the ultrasound one of the femurs was measuring short and there was fluid around the kidneys.  We were back at around 1 in 320 or something like that (the same as the odds for my age!).  It was a total rollercoaster ride for most of the pregnancy.  We did not go forward with any invasive testing.  Our daugther was born.  She did not have Down Syndrome.  Good luck!
  • Options
    we just had a scare with an echogenic foci, a soft marker for downs, at our level II u/s.  we went for a 2nd opinion today and was so glad we did.  my nt was perfect and the 2nd dr couldn't find to her satisfaction, the echogenic foci, so we were told its nothing to worry about. we were still offered the amnio, but declined.  we are satisfied everything is ok.  dont know if this helped, but i hope all is well.
    PLC 7.16.07 * MDC 10.16.10
    Foundation for Ichthyosis and Related Skin Types
    Educate, inspire and connect those touched by ichthyosis and related disorders through emotional support, information, advocacy and research funding for better treatments and eventual cures.
  • Options
    Our risk after the 1st tri screen came back 1/47.  I'm not going to lie, we were both really freaked out.  We initially decided to do the amnio right after our level II ultrasound. We did the ultrasound, the dr found no soft or hard markers, and we fell in love with our little guy on the screen.  We opted out of the amnio as we knew that no matter what, he was ours.  So I guess we are waiting it out.  We are planning for a T21 diagnosis and if not, we have learned a lot about a pretty great bunch of kiddos.
  • Options
    I really, really like your thinking on that.  I am 41 and pregnant.  I am concerned and want to see that heartbeat here in a few weeks.  I also teach special education and have one son with autism.  I know that having a child with special needs can be a blessing, too, just like with my typical sons.  Not wishing for anything like that, but I know it'll be okay, no matter what.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"