Two Under 2
Options

Weird comment (re-post from Working Moms board)

DH drops me in front of our building every morning (we car pool since his office is 5 mins away and this allows us some 'date' time every day). Anyway, there is a very nice lady who maintains/cleans the building and I see her every morning at the front. Yesterday, she said OMG...I just realized you're pregnant again (we have a 15 month old DS). She asked if it was a boy or girl. I said boy, so she said that's good...get it over with while you're young. Then she asked if I would tie my tubes - that is what her daughter will do since she is pregnant with her 4th baby now - and they all have the same father. And then, she asked if I will decide to get married now that we will have two children together! Isn't that an odd thing to ask someone who you just wave to every morning? Especially more weird b/c we have been married for 5 years! Maybe I need a bigger ring. LOL. What do you all think? I am just overly sensitive? Now I wonder if somehow everyone else in the building thinks that way...hence the stares. We have been getting a TON of weird comments lately since we will be having two babies under two. Just wanted to share and get your feedback. Hope you all have a great day!

Re: Weird comment (re-post from Working Moms board)

• Options
    It really sounds like she is asking these questions based on her own life experiences and her daughter. I don't think it has much to do with you. In her mind, two kids means get married. Nevermind that you already happen to be married. I don't think it's a judgment so much as just what's normal in her world. But I would tell DH about the ring thing. I would try not to get caught up in worrying about what others think. I look very pregnant and I carry around an infant. But I can't just stay in the house. I honestly haven't felt any judgment from people but I don't overthink anything about this either. People are just curious and like to talk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about it; she's basing her comments on her daughter's life experiences and probably isn't thinking about how personal she's being!

I had my two kids 11 months apart and got a LOT of commentary from people on it -- friends and total strangers alike.  People do stare when you're obviously pregnant and toting an infant or a small toddler because it's slightly unusual...although if there's this many of us on the 2 under 2 board, it shouldn't be all that strange to see, right?

The most stares I ever got, though, was when I was visiting my sister and BIL and we went out to dinner.  DH wasn't able to come with me, so it was me (~6 months pregnant and carrying an an 8-month-old) and my sister (~8 months pregnant) with BIL in the restaurant.  People were turning around to catch a glimpse as we walked by...I'm pretty sure they thought it was some episode of Big Love or something!

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    People are strange!  I'd just write it off as that.  (But if you can suggest to DH that you need a bigger ring so people realize you're married then go for it!)  :)
  • Options
    AC_DCAC_DC member
    People are SO random!  Isn't it weird how people who see you every day start to FEEL like they know you.  I can't believe she had the nerve to discuss such personal things with you!  "Will you get your tubes tied?"  I mean, HELLO, that's not the typical "happy wednesday" comment!  I wish you could say the 27 retorts I'm sure you thought of while you were trying to go to sleep.  :)  It sounds like her comments are sooo off base, I wouldn't worry about anyone else in the building thinking along the same lines as her...unless they're insane too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"