Eco-Friendly Family

Still struggling with idea of Lanolin. Anyone use Beeswax?

Hi all.

I posted a long time ago about struggling with the idea of wool covers because I am an ethical vegetarian and don't like the idea of using it since it's derived from sheep.  Wool I can be OK with because I can use exclusively upcycled wool covers, which makes me feel better about it all.  However, lanolin is a product that has to be continually replenished by sheep. 

I've read that beeswax can be used to waterproof.  Has anyone tried this?  I'm curious if it would work on wool covers.  (And yes, I'm aware that beeswax is technically an animal product too.  However, I am morally just more OK with using beeswax than using lanolin).  Anyone have any info or experience with this?  Thanks!

Re: Still struggling with idea of Lanolin. Anyone use Beeswax?

• Why are you morally ok with beeswax?  It takes a heck of a lot more for bees to replenish their wax supply than it does a sheep to produce lanolin.  For production of 1 pound of wax a bee has to produce 6 pounds of honey.  That's why most beekeepers reuse the frames instead of just cutting the comb.
  • I guess I feel like the bees endure a lot less cruelty on a bee farm than sheep do in the commercial wool industry.  The wool industry can be exceedingly cruel.  In order to harvest lanolin, the wool has to be shaved from the sheep.  It can obviously be done humanely, but typically it's not.  And the living conditions can be terrible.  For bees, I think there is a lot more freedom for them in most cases.  They are allowed to live a "natural" life and exhibit natural behaviors much more than livestock in most cases. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepixy_stix:
    For production of 1 pound of wax a bee has to produce 6 pounds of honey.  That's why most beekeepers reuse the frames instead of just cutting the comb.

Hot dang, pixy what DON'T you know?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

wife to joe 2.2.08. mama to noah 9.5.09.
    After multiple m/c's, a MTHFR diagnosis and the Lord calling both of our hearts in the same direction, we're adopting!
    theluckiest
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Bees are insects, so I would guess they don't care how they are treated.  However harvesting the wax can severely limit, and even kill, hives.  Not that I have a moral or ethical stand one way or the other.  Considering the lifespan of a worker during the summer is about 3 months during the gathering of honey, you're seeing a complete turnover of the hive population ~3-4 times a year.  

Actually, I'm not sure where I'm going with this other than I like talking about bees.  :oD

• imagepixy_stix:

Actually, I'm not sure where I'm going with this other than I like talking about bees.  :oD

LOL!  Ok then.  For me, it's about animal welfare.  That's my "big cause" for the most part.  I'm an animal welfare attorney, actually.  Thanks for the info on bees though.  Wink

• imagejwpbride:

Geeked   My family was hobbyist beekeepers for years.  Part of it was educational outreach.  :)

• imageanmllwyr:
    I guess I feel like the bees endure a lot less cruelty on a bee farm than sheep do in the commercial wool industry.  The wool industry can be exceedingly cruel.  In order to harvest lanolin, the wool has to be shaved from the sheep.  It can obviously be done humanely, but typically it's not.  And the living conditions can be terrible.  For bees, I think there is a lot more freedom for them in most cases.  They are allowed to live a "natural" life and exhibit natural behaviors much more than livestock in most cases. 

My understanding was that bees were actually still kept in setups that haven't evolved since the 1900s and aren't necessarily the best environment for them.

But hey, I'm not as knowledgeable as pixy.

I've never tried beeswax. I'm good with lanolin.

• imagepixy_stix:
    imagejwpbride:

Geeked   My family was hobbyist beekeepers for years.  Part of it was educational outreach.  :)

Is extremely jealous of the beekeeping and now has a strong craving for ice cream with honey and cinnamon. 

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • can you buy cruelty free lanolin?  or possibly get some from freecycle so it's also upcycled?
  • I don't lanolize.  They work fine w/o.  
    47 months &
    11 months
  • image*speedracer*:
    can you buy cruelty free lanolin?  or possibly get some from freecycle so it's also upcycled?

Does the upsizing cancel out the "cruelty"?

I'm seriously curious. I don't understand a lot of this point of view and would like try to.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

wife to joe 2.2.08. mama to noah 9.5.09.
    After multiple m/c's, a MTHFR diagnosis and the Lord calling both of our hearts in the same direction, we're adopting!
    theluckiest
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • imagejwpbride:

image*speedracer*:
    can you buy cruelty free lanolin?  or possibly get some from freecycle so it's also upcycled?

Does the upsizing cancel out the "cruelty"?

I'm seriously curious. I don't understand a lot of this point of view and would like try to.

the OP justified using upcycled wool, so if upcycled wool is OK for her, wouldn't using a tube of lanolin destined for the trash be OK as well?  i never said it canceled out anything, i'm just trying to think about consistency.

• imagepixy_stix:
    Why are you morally ok with beeswax?  It takes a heck of a lot more for bees to replenish their wax supply than it does a sheep to produce lanolin.  For production of 1 pound of wax a bee has to produce 6 pounds of honey.  That's why most beekeepers reuse the frames instead of just cutting the comb.

Duuuuuuuuude. Now I'll feel guilty if I buy more burts bees chapstick.

::off to find chapstick that is nice to bees::

• Lanolin isn't so much for waterproofing as it is for self-washing.  The fat in lanolin reacts chemically with the constituents in urine to create soap and water.  Thus, "self-cleaning" the wool.  I don't believe that beeswax would work the same way.  Besides that, it would be a royal pain in the rear to apply with any consistency. 

If you're that worried about the sheep getting a humane haircut, I'd look for a small, family-owned sheep farm who sells their products.  That, or just buy PUL. Or, better yet, use EC. 

• Everything Glad said. I really don't think that beeswax would work. I think it would do a good job of ruining your wool covers honestly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGladToBeMrs.SRS:

Lanolin isn't so much for waterproofing as it is for self-washing.  The fat in lanolin reacts chemically with the constituents in urine to create soap and water.  Thus, "self-cleaning" the wool.  I don't believe that beeswax would work the same way.  Besides that, it would be a royal pain in the rear to apply with any consistency. 

If you're that worried about the sheep getting a humane haircut, I'd look for a small, family-owned sheep farm who sells their products.  That, or just buy PUL. Or, better yet, use EC. 

It's not the "humane haircut" that upsets me.  It's more how the sheep are treated throughout the process.  What is EC?  I have some fleece covers that I'm hoping will work for us. 

As for the upcycling thing, I suppose if I could find someone who has it and isn't going to use it, that would be one way to go.  I'd be more OK with that than buying new and adding to the market demand for an animal product.  Sorry if this seems weird to some of you.  We all have to pick our battles, you know?  For me, it's about reducing my negative impact on the world, and on the animals in it.  I am far from perfect, but I try to do what I can, when I can.  If there's a way to use upcycled wool without contributing to the demand for an animal product, than I'd want to do it. 

• imageluvlieK:
    I don't lanolize.  They work fine w/o.  

Thanks!  Maybe I'll buy one or 2 wool covers and see how they do without lanolizing. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"