Breastfeeding
Options

How do you get the fat off the side of bottles

A post below has me wondering.

What's the best way you've found to get the fat unstuck from the inside of the bottle after it's been refrigerated?

I've been using my hands to gently warm the "ring" of fat but am wondering if there's an easier way. I used to warm a little under running water but it makes me nervous to warm refridgerated milk and then freeze since it's not easy to only warm the sides of the bottle without also warming the milk (esp when it's only 1-2oz of BM).

Re: How do you get the fat off the side of bottles

• Options
    Usually I can get it mixed in just by shaking vigorously.  Sometimes I roll the bottle in my hands a bit to warm it just enough to release the fat.  But I generally don't have to do anything more than that.
  • Options

imageamber&patrick:
    Usually I can get it mixed in just by shaking vigorously.  Sometimes I roll the bottle in my hands a bit to warm it just enough to release the fat.  But I generally don't have to do anything more than that.

You're not supposed to shake breastmilk though. That's why I wondered how others do it.

https://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/shakenot.htm

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ghdst1ghdst1 member
    I warm in my hands and then swirl it around till it is combined.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been doing the same as you.  My DD doesn't mind cold milk, so I usually just let the bottle sit out for a few minutes and then roll it.  If the ring doesn't completely mix in I then hold my hand around it to try to warm it more.  Haven't figured out a better way yet :(
  • Options
    I just leave it on the counter for a couple of minutes (3-4) and then gently swirl it to combine.  I read some articles that shaking can damage the milk.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We warm bottles in the crockpot, so I just put the bottle in the warm crockpot for 30 sec or so and then gently swirl

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh sh!t! I've been shaking. The things I learn. Indifferent

• Options

imageStephanie2167:
    Oh sh!t! I've been shaking. The things I learn. Indifferent

me too, Bad mommy to me.  I do usually warm in the crock pot, but that article said warming the milk is bad too.  I think I am do for an LC call tomorrow. 

• Options
    Run warm water on the fat, then swirl.  I only put the water on it for a few seconds so I don't actually warm the milk. 
  • Options

imagemrs_sherod:
    Run warm water on the fat, then swirl.  I only put the water on it for a few seconds so I don't actually warm the milk. 

This exactly.  Running warm water over the bottle/bag is perfectly fine, just not hot water. 

• Options

imagemrs_sherod:

This. i've then moved it to the freezer bags and the milk is still very cold so it doesn't hurt it then to freeze

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"