Pre-School and Daycare

Would you let your (newly) 3 year old do this??

My mom, who I trust for the most part, wants to take DS1 to visit my relatives about 3 hours away. She wants to take him for 3-4 days.

When she first brought it up, I thought he was too young. I don't really have a good reason though, I just am not comfortable. He still struggles with certain things and I just don't know that he ready to be away from home for that long. On vacation he was nervous to go on rides alone, woke up because of nightmares, etc...but, these things are things my mom would probably handle. I don't know, He just still seems so young to me.

Do you think I am being silly? Would you allow it?

Re: Would you let your (newly) 3 year old do this??

• Considering that it's not too far away, you could always let her take him. If he really didn't seem to be doing well, you could get him or they could come home early.

My DD has never spent the night away from me (just never had the opportunity) so I might be a little hesitant to have the first away-from-mom experience be so many days. But I'd still try it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would let DD go with my parents for a few days. No issues. I completely trust them.

Now I wouldn't allow it for the inlaws. Not that I don't trust them or adore them, I just would be worried.

My parents have a 4 year old so they are still in the "parent' mode, probably sounds silly I know.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Has he spent any time with them overnite before?? Ive never been away from kids overnite except when I was having A LOL  (Actually Im lying, Mom has kept A overnite)

Maybe let her keep him here overnite or 2 and see how it goes as trial before she leaves.

• Absolutely not. I just think it's too young and, let's face it, no one is going to parent and watch your kid like you would. I trust my mom to watch my dd but I would not be comfortable with a trip that long and that far away.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageMelissaMc22:

On vacation he was nervous to go on rides alone, woke up because of nightmares, etc...but, these things are things my mom would probably handle.

At that age I would ask HIM if he wants to do it.

If he said yes after I fully explained he would be without me AND his brother, and Grandma would be the one helping him with the potty, getting his meals, bathing him and putting him to bed at a relatives house (or hotel) ...... THEN I'd be cool with it. 

And I'd play it up like a mad woman talking about what a fun adventure it'll be for him. 

If he hesitated at all I wouldn't do it. 

At that age I honestly think he wouldn't have wanted to be away from his brother that long but that could be specific to my guys and their relationship.

My younger one would be all over this kinda opportunity and he's only 2.5.  I'd totally let him go. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • I'd let my mom but she is great with Katie. 

Does she keep him overnight often?

• I probably would, but only if he has been left alone in their care before, and has done okay with it. But I might warn her, as pp said, that if he seems uncomfortable or gets scared, she may have to come home early. When Ds2 was 9 months old, we took him with us (bc I was nursing) on a 5 day cruise for DH's wedding. My oldest DS was 2yrs 10months, and he stayed with my parents. But they'd both stayed at her house when I worked since they were each born. I think it's a comfort thing for you and him. :)
    Blake 04/29/05 Will 06/12/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My parents have already taken DD for a few days at a time (I think 3-4 days max so far) So, yes.  I'd be a little concerned about them traveling together, as Mom hasn't had as much experience Traveling with DD, but if she seemed prepared and up to it, then sure.

• imagekada626:
    Absolutely not. I just think it's too young and, let's face it, no one is going to parent and watch your kid like you would. I trust my mom to watch my dd but I would not be comfortable with a trip that long and that far away.  

ditto.  an overnight yes no problem.....3-4 nights away from me is too long for me, and i know Carson......he would be missing us after the first night, which is okay but too far away for too long for my comfort level right now.

• My DD spends every Sunday with my parents. My dad also took her for the weekend to Valparaiso which is about 3 1/2 hours away from us and all I said was "good luck." They raised you and your DH fine didn't they?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • No.  I have no really good reason either - just no.

We don't like to be away from our kids... and when we are - we want them in a place we know very well - can assess the risks, make adjustments, etc.

Griffin stayed at my sister's house for 5 nights when i had the twins. We know their house very well - it's in our town - and we 100% trust my sister.  We still asked them to put a hook on their basement door, which they happily did (and still have there for when we visit)... and a few other little things we asked them to do --- so i felt secure.

I would never feel secure with my son in a car for 6 hours with my parents... staying at some home I don't know well - with  lots of other people around- whom i may or not trust with my child --- no... just no.

has nothing to do with his age either.

• imageabpdjs:

imagekada626:
    Absolutely not. I just think it's too young and, let's face it, no one is going to parent and watch your kid like you would. I trust my mom to watch my dd but I would not be comfortable with a trip that long and that far away.  

ditto.  an overnight yes no problem.....3-4 nights away from me is too long for me, and i know Carson......he would be missing us after the first night, which is okay but too far away for too long for my comfort level right now.

Ditto this. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't do it just because I would miss DD too much. Since I work full time, I don't get to see her enough as it is.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • My parents watched DD for 7-8 days a few months ago when DH and I went on a cruise.  We were out of the country with little phone access.

So I'd say yes.  Olivia loved her time with her parents and they got to bond in a way they couldn't with us there.

• If it makes you uncomfortable, don't feel like you have to do it.  My son is about the same age, and I wouldn't feel comfortable sending him away from home without a parent either.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • With my parents, Yes. With my in-laws, No.

In a few years we plan to let my DD go spend a week or two at my parents house over the summer.  They live about 6 hours away.

My DH used to spend practically the entire summer at his Grandmother's house - about an hour from home.  He wasn't 3...more like grade school or middle school age...but it was a great experience for him and he was very close to his Grandma and the relatives who lived near her.

Heather Margaret --- Feb '07 and Todd Eldon --- April '09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"