South Jersey Babies

University Doctors in Sewell...Midwives or Doctors? Whats the difference?

I am looking to find a new OB/GYN because my husband and I are planning to TTC the beginning of next year.  I have heard good things about the Dr's in this office... has anyone had their children delivered by any of these drs and what was the experience like?... Also I have a stupid question... I have heard people talk about the mid wives and the doctors.... What is the difference and how do I know who to make an appointment with? I really prefer to have a woman doctor but I am not sure what the difference is between the midwife and the dr.

Re: University Doctors in Sewell...Midwives or Doctors? Whats the difference?

• Hi there!  I go to UD in Sewell.  I highly recommend doing some good google research on the midwife vs doctor issue -- there's a lot of info out there that will help you more than I can.  I can speak for the office, however.  Once I got pregnant, I made an appointment there specifically because of the reputation of their midwife team. I think they are knowledgeable and I really like them so far.  I would recommend them.  There are quite a few women in the practice so you have a great chance of seeing a woman.  I don't have experience with delivery by a midwife/doctor at that practice (yet) but I know people IRL that have and I've met a few ladies on the board that speak very highly of them, as well. 

Good luck!

• I also go there and love them!!  At my first appt I saw a midwife when I wasn't expected too and I LOVED her and wouldn't mind sticking with the midwife.  I did see Dr. Salerno at my 2nd appt and he was great and I think the only male in the office (he's gay :) ).  I figured I'd see whoever was avaiable even though I've always had a woman Dr b/c I have no clue who will be on staff when I deliver and I'd rather meet them all.

They've been great so far and I love that a nurse is always available and calls back quickly if I have a question

• Loading the player...
  • I don't go to that office, but my first delivery was with a midwife and I LOVED it!!!

She knew I wasn't even going to TRY to deliver med-free and she was really great about it. She was super nice, very warm (always hugged me!) and really took her time with me. I found that most OBs (I used an OB w/my 2nd delivery) really rush you. I would spend 2 hours in the waiting room and 7 mins with the actual doctor. My midwife took time to talk to both DH & I . She would always ask us how we were feeling, how we were coping w/the stress (we were unmarried college students living apart at the time) and gave us check lists and "homework" to do every month.

My second delivery was fine, but my first was amazing. She really put me at ease. And she got my mom & MIL involved in the delivery, which they LOVED (...yeah, I let my MIL watch, lol).

I was very sad when she left the practice.

I would meet with the midwife and see how you like it. I always felt more comfortable with women, anyway.

• Oh, I almost forgot -- you can't use a midwife if you are high risk. So, if that's an issue, than you have to see an OB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"