Blended Families
Options

We are confused-child support ?

The child support order was finalized in May, with back support to Apr. 1st.

Its supposed to be $98/week and taken automatically from BMs check.

DH got his first check from them yesterday for $82.44 ? What the hell does that mean?  

Re: We are confused-child support ?

• Options

I'm PA so things could be different - but it could mean a few things. 

1. She might not be making enough.  They will not take more than 50% of your income, so if she only made $165.00 in a week, you can only get 82.50.

2. There are fees when they first setup the DRS paymets - this could effect the first check.

3. Are there arrears?  We have a real hard time with arrears.  BM owes DH over $5000.00 but the dumb DRS can't figure out how to handle the process when BM owes BF.  We haev gobe through 3 years of hell to get th emoney and at 1 point they were giving her the arrears instead of tkaing it away.  The system is created to support Moms, not Dads.

These are a few ideas.  Hope it helps.

• Options

Has he used any county assistance?  They take a portion of CS if they have given assistance to the child receiving CS. 

However, If you are confused, I would talk with the CS worker.  They are good at explaining......depending on who you have. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBanana44:

I'm PA so things could be different - but it could mean a few things. 

1. She might not be making enough.  They will not take more than 50% of your income, so if she only made $165.00 in a week, you can only get 82.50.

2. There are fees when they first setup the DRS paymets - this could effect the first check.

3. Are there arrears?  We have a real hard time with arrears.  BM owes DH over $5000.00 but the dumb DRS can't figure out how to handle the process when BM owes BF.  We haev gobe through 3 years of hell to get th emoney and at 1 point they were giving her the arrears instead of tkaing it away.  The system is created to support Moms, not Dads.

These are a few ideas.  Hope it helps.

1. its possible.. she did say she was going to cut down on her hours, and she is a waitress.. so her checks arent that big anyways since most of her $ is tips.

2. I *think* in NYS there is a fee assesed after $500 has been paid out.. not 100% sure on that though.

3. Yes, but she only owed support back for about 5-6 weeks.. ~$500-$600. Who knows if he'll ever see that. 

Thanks for the ideas.. DH is going to call the CS office/worker later. 

• Options

Not sure what the issue is, but my advice would be to never count on that money.  Don't expect it to be on time, a certain amount, whatever.  There are plenty of mistakes made by payroll, and even then, the NCP could quit, etc.  This is the first of many headaches you'll deal w CS.  I would just be happy that you received most of it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"