Postpartum Depression
Options

Weaning and Depression

Well, I had really hoped to avoid this board...but looks like this is a place for me after all.

I have been on an antidepressant for almost 15 years now.  I take 300 mg wellbutrin xl once a day (and I have for years), and for the most part, I consider my depression very controlled and a thing of the past.

When I was pregnant, I really felt on top of the world.  This surprised me, as I had heard horror stories about how depression can really rear its ugly head during pregnancy.  I, however, felt great.  I delivered a beautiful baby boy 12 weeks ago, and once again, I was surprised that I didn't suffer any baby blues.  I have taken wellbutrin throughout this entire process, but I'm still surprised at how controlled this has all been.

Well, I have been working on weaning my son for the last two weeks, and it struck me today that I think it's messing with my hormones and I am unfortunately not feeling like myself.  I'm very weepy, very short-tempered, mad at my husband for no apparent reason, overwhelmed, anxious, etc....all the classic signs of depression, huh?

My question is:  I am on 300 mg of wellbutrin xl so could this ppd pass once I am done weaning?  Will my hormones even out and make me feel "normal" again?  Also, is ppd common with weaning?

thanks in advance.

Re: Weaning and Depression

• Options
    My PPD hit after weaning my son.  It is so common with all the hormones!  Everyone is different, so I couldn't even begin to imagine what your body and hormones will do.  I would call your Dr and let her know what is going on.  I'm sure a little tweaking of the meds, and you will be feeling better.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"