Alabama Babies

I'm starting to wonder...

if Aubrey is ever going to crawl.  I keep seeing so many babies either younger than her or right around her age on the 6-9 month board and some friends on FB that their babies are crawling and pulling up.

Aubrey seems to want to crawl, and when she is sitting up playing she reaches as far as she can (like literally stretching out) to reach something she wants.  She can scoot herself around on her bottom when she is sitting up. But when she is on her tummy she gets so frustrated that she can't seem to figure out how to move. We get down on the floor with her, giving her something that she might want just out of her reach or just encouraging her.  Heck we have even crawled on the floor ourselves so she can see what to do.    

I also can't get her to stand up much while I am holding on to her.  My pedi told me to work on this at her 6 month appointment so I have been, but she will do it here and there but mostly she'll just pull her legs up towards her.  I know at 8 months old she should be doing this, and I am worried about her leg strength.  

She goes back to the pedi for her 9 month appointment July 20th so I plan on talking to her about it then.  I have heard of babies sometimes completely skipping crawling and I also know a lot of babies that didn't crawl until 9/10 months, especially first babies.  But I am still a bit worried and I am really worried about the not wanting to stand thing.  

Re: I'm starting to wonder...

• Oh honey, I'm right there w/ you w/ the worrying about everything.

Avery didn't crawl until she was a year and a week old.  And when she did - she crawled across an entire room in front of 20 people.

We did EVERYTHING to encourage her... we'd get her interested in toys - and take them away...and guess what?  NO RESPONSE.  She would look at the toy, look at us and then play with her foot.  Absolutely NO desire to crawl.  She could roll but wouldn't.  She HATED being on her belly... hated it. 

She could bear weight on her legs not a problem - when she was holding our hands or on our laps but as far as getting her to take steps... um... HECK NO! You know in the Wizard of Oz - when the tin man can lean WAAAAAY  far one way and not move his feet?  That was our kid.  It was like her feet were GLUED to the floor. 

when she was about 14-15 months old she would pull herself up...but the hard way.  Not like she was supposed to.  She'd grab onto something and hoist her entire body upright without bending her knees... That was SOOOO way harder than her doing it the right way but convincing her to even TRY it was impossible. 

And we did EVERYTHING to encourage her and NADA.

She did start pushing a push toy, or holding our hands (even one finger) and she did that for a good 4 months before she started walking (maybe even longer).  And then when she did walk (at 20 months, 1 day)....She ran...

The pedi checked her out at her 18 month appt and he said that if she had NO balance, or couldn't bear weight on her legs, he would be worried but since she was totally stable and physically able to, then it was just waiting for her to want to...

I"m not telling you to not worry...it's definitely hard to watch other babies the same age or younger doing things that Aubrey isn't yet.  But maybe a story from a mom who is STILL struggling with keeping her game face on while she silently is scared to pieces there is something wrong w/ their kid might help???   It's not easy.  And it's not easy when people make crappy comments about Aubrey and what she is or isn't doing.

If you're really concerned you can definitely look into getting an Early Intervention evaluation done - your pedi can recommend you at your 9 month appt. 

do you have a jumperoo or an exersaucer?  Avery would GO TO TOWN in the jumperoo - she was a mad woman in that thing!  that might help Aubrey's leg strength (it's not bad for limited amount of time - just not recommended for ALWAYS).

If you need anything - or just need to vent, just let me know...

(but FWIW - it sounds like she's doing really great)

• imagesdkrlm:

Oh honey, I'm right there w/ you w/ the worrying about everything.

Avery didn't crawl until she was a year and a week old.  And when she did - she crawled across an entire room in front of 20 people.

We did EVERYTHING to encourage her... we'd get her interested in toys - and take them away...and guess what?  NO RESPONSE.  She would look at the toy, look at us and then play with her foot.  Absolutely NO desire to crawl.  She could roll but wouldn't.  She HATED being on her belly... hated it. 

She could bear weight on her legs not a problem - when she was holding our hands or on our laps but as far as getting her to take steps... um... HECK NO! You know in the Wizard of Oz - when the tin man can lean WAAAAAY  far one way and not move his feet?  That was our kid.  It was like her feet were GLUED to the floor. 

when she was about 14-15 months old she would pull herself up...but the hard way.  Not like she was supposed to.  She'd grab onto something and hoist her entire body upright without bending her knees... That was SOOOO way harder than her doing it the right way but convincing her to even TRY it was impossible. 

And we did EVERYTHING to encourage her and NADA.

She did start pushing a push toy, or holding our hands (even one finger) and she did that for a good 4 months before she started walking (maybe even longer).  And then when she did walk (at 20 months, 1 day)....She ran...

The pedi checked her out at her 18 month appt and he said that if she had NO balance, or couldn't bear weight on her legs, he would be worried but since she was totally stable and physically able to, then it was just waiting for her to want to...

I"m not telling you to not worry...it's definitely hard to watch other babies the same age or younger doing things that Aubrey isn't yet.  But maybe a story from a mom who is STILL struggling with keeping her game face on while she silently is scared to pieces there is something wrong w/ their kid might help???   It's not easy.  And it's not easy when people make crappy comments about Aubrey and what she is or isn't doing.

If you're really concerned you can definitely look into getting an Early Intervention evaluation done - your pedi can recommend you at your 9 month appt. 

do you have a jumperoo or an exersaucer?  Avery would GO TO TOWN in the jumperoo - she was a mad woman in that thing!  that might help Aubrey's leg strength (it's not bad for limited amount of time - just not recommended for ALWAYS).

If you need anything - or just need to vent, just let me know...

(but FWIW - it sounds like she's doing really great)

Thanks Sarah :)

She does have a jumperoo.  She gets the idea of it, but mostly she just likes to play with the toys on it.  When we can get her to stand on our laps or by holding her hands with her on the floor, she stays stick straight, doesn't bend the knees and will stick her little butt out to bend at the waist.  

I'll talk to her pedi in a few weeks about it and see what she thinks is best.  My mom said that she might just take after me in this dept...I never crawled, would just scoot around on my bottom and use my left foot to propel me and I didn't start that until almost 11 months and I didn't walk until I was almost 15 months old.  But I still can't help but worry, which I guess is part of being a mom. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah Avery never moved, scooted, rolled etc anywhere - she was just always content (Yes, these are the pitfalls to having a really laid back kid - they don't give a darn so they don't get frustrated and TRY - LOL!)

Keep working w/ her.  I would jump with her w/ the jumperoo (and yes, I realized I looked like a fool)...but it would help her want to jump with me.

I look forward to hearing how she progresses!

• Sounds like Sarah gave you some great advice!

Lyla did everything right when she was supposed to pretty much. She rolled at 3 mos, sat at 6mos, crawled at 9mos and walked at 13mos. I think it's hard to see other kids do things early but it seems like Aubrey is right on track. Give her some time, she will get it.

I won't say 'don't worry' because as mom's it's just what we do. Wink

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My BFF's DD is 10 months old and JUST started crawling.  We didn't think she was going to either.

Just keep in mind that not all babies crawl.  I know my parents said that I never crawled, but went straight to walking.

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"