South Florida Babies
Options

1st Appointment and US

So I was a wreck all morning waiting for my appointment. I get there and she greats me with a smile and "Congrats, go empty your bladder so we can do an US". So off I go. She does a vaginal US and well..... she can't find my uterus. yep. I have an inverted uterus (and slightly to one side), and apparently that makes it hard to find on occasion. So even though I KNOW I have a uterus I'm already freaking out. Next step drink lots of water, after I had already peed! and wait for 30 minutes so my bladder gets full. 4 cups of water and a bloated tummy later she comes in and there's my bladder, still NO Uterus! She tried externally but that didn't work. Finally she says she's sorry but has to call in a male Dr who is an expert at these things. Of course DH and I look at each other because well I'm not partial to male Drs and neither is he. But there comes in the guy and two second later there's my uterus! He says "Congrats" and my DH says "Nice to meet you too" Everyone laughed it was one of those odd uncomfortable laughs.

So I have a picture of a wonderful looking sack but couldn't see my little bean yet. So I'm going back in 3 weeks to make sure the LO is growing in there. She said it was too early. I figured as much since my cycles are not normal length and I ovulated late in the game.

So now I'm holding my breath until July 19th so I can see my lil bean growing. I was really hoping to feel a little more reassured after today. In the meantime, I will be interviewing Drs since she does not deliver. Still not sure I want to even interview a male Dr even after today's experience.

Anyone else get a picture of a nice sack with no bean?

Re: 1st Appointment and US

• Options

Like doctor said, it is just too eary to see baby and h/b... nothing to worry about.

As for the male doctor, I absolutely love mine!  I went through so much to get pg, that 1/2 the world has seen my business (at least it seems like it).  For a while, Dh would call me the office's "town whore" b/c each time was a different nurse.  LOL

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks Jackie! Its funny cause when I was 21 I had a breast reduction cause at 5 feet tall I was 97lbs wearing a DD and spilling over because I refused to go larger and when I was in the hospital I had 2 days of different nurses, and some were male, coming and looking and feeling to make sure all was ok and I thought I had gotten past that but I guess not. The more I think of it the more I'm thinking I'm gonna go at least meet one male Dr. I feel like as uncomfortable as it may make me at first, not giving it at least a meeting would be a disservice to my little bean.

Thanks again. Hope you and your lil ones are doing great!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are still very early, so I'm sure the next time you back you will see a beautiful little bean on the ultrasound. About the Dr situation- I don't know if this is the case for everyone else but on the day I delivered, all I wanted was the baby out safely. I could have cared less who was on the other end. In fact, the dr that was on call from my practice was the only one I never met throughout the pregnancy but it all turned out fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I know it seems like a long time to wait, but the 19th will be here before you know it and you'll get to see your LO.  By then, you'll most likely be able to hear the h/b since it's harder to find before 10 weeks.  As for the dr situation, it's really easy to get over if you feel comfortable with the doctor.  As you know, I was in the same situation as you - had to find a new doc.  I only met with one and I knew he was it.  I felt so comfortable with him and so did DH.  That first appt, the doc did a pelvic exam and sent me for an u/s.  The u/s tech happened to be male, too.  DH made jokes about other guys seeing my business that day, but he was okay with it.  It's true what the other girls have mentioned - you can't guarantee that your OB will be there on the day of delivery and it may be a male doc she has on-call instead.  GL with w/e you decide and keep us posted on your next appt!

• Options

@ my 5.5 week appt. all I had was a yolk sac, I went back at 7.5 weeks and we saw a baby :) My RE's office has a ridiculous u/s machine so we got a really good picture of the baby when at that time you normally see a smudge.

Re: the male doctor issue. I was pretty much in our boat. I always saw female OB's and when it came time to find an RE I looked for a woman as well. I felt lucky to find a really awesome one and was happy that the u/s tech at the office was a woman also. It wasn't until the day I had to have my HSG that I had to get over it. It was done by one of the male Dr's in the practice since he was the one on duty at the hospital that day.  The second time I had to "get over it" was for my IUI. Normally, the nurses do the IUI but since my cervix decided not to cooperate that day after 4 different nurses trying to get the catheder in they had to have the on call RE do it....and it was a man. The worst part for me was getting over the fact that he was what I'd consider a kind creepy looking dude but I had no choice.

After that I realized it wasn't THAT bad. I just needed to find someone I was super comfortable with that didn't give me that awkward feeling. I still preferred the woman Dr. but I got so many male Dr. recs that I decided to give it a try. Dr. K's practice can highly recommeneded by a few people I know and on of the bumpies is a nurse @ Baptist and she says the Dr.'s in the practice are very well liked. We met with Dr. K and we LOVED him. Like Adri says they do a pelvic exam and all that in the first visit so you pretty much know whether or not your going to feeel comfortable with them right off the bat. :)

Best of luck to you!!   

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options

Congrats!

If you ovulated later than normal then it's totally possible that it's too early to see the fetal pole or heart beat yet. 

If their u/s machine is old or lower tech, that can affect their ability to see as well.  It sounds like it might be if she couldn't even find your uterus despite it being tilted.  Or an unskilled person at the wand.  ;)

I waited for my first u/s until I was almost 7 weeks because I was scared to go too early before the heart beat was detectable.  I can totally understand how that can be a little scary position to be in.  Wishing you the best.

Good luck to you!  Keep us updated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When I was younger I was adverse to going to a male doc. I felt very uncomfortable about it. My mom's OBGYN was male though so that is who we went to... she had been seeing him for like 20+ years. As my mom told me "it's not a MAN, it's a DOCTOR"

My mom was a nurse and said that it pretty much all blurred together at that point. They are medical professionals and aren't looking at you the way you see yourself, judging you, or anything else you could be thinking.

I ended up going to a male OB during my pregnancy and really loved him, though a woman delivered my son, and I like her too. I don't really care who I go to now as long as they keep me healthy! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Options

Do not worry, you might be a lot earlier than you think especially since you ovulated late in your cycle. do you know your ovulation date?

I am on the same boat you are in regards to male doctors. I have had a bad experience once when I was younger and always said that I will look for female doctors. However with our last m/c the only doctor that was on call was a male doctor and he was so amazing and caring that it made me realize I needed to get over it. Then I had to do an HSG and it was a male and it helped me get over this 'male' fear. My DH was not fond of the idea of male dr looking down there and the awkwardness of him being there while another man was checking out my business, but when it comes to the bottom line... I want a doctor that I know or feel that my baby is at least risk. On the day of your delivery, you might have a male nurse or another doctor on call that is a male. Please request for some recommendations and go interview them and see if you are comfortable with them.

GL and your second u/s will be right around the corner! 

My Blog: One Project at a Time Blog

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Chart
    CP 05/09
    BFP on 7/26/09 - M/C 8/13/09 @ 7 Wks
    BFP on 10/28/09 - M/C 11/9/09 @ 5 Wks 2 Days
    1/25/10 - RPL results everything normal but have low Progesterone
    BFP on 06/09/10 - EDD 02/20/2011
  • Options

Thank you all for your support. It makes me feel so much better to know there are girls out there who understand me. I really do think I'm gonna try and meet at least one male dr. I don't know about the whole exam thing right off but at least meet one and see how I feel.

I'll keep you all posted on our progress!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"