Adoption

doctors visits and ICPC how does it work

Well we are pushing forward with the scary adoption that is sending all those red flags. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Ok so here is my question. If we are in Florida for 7-10 days after the birth how does the doctor appointments go. I am very foreign to all of this and both our mothers have passed away so I have no idea when they need to go to the doctor. I think they have to go to the doctor within a few days but how do you do that when you are in another state. Who do you go see?  Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks

Proud Momma of our daughter Charlie! She found her forever home August 2010 Hope to be the proud momma of #2 in July

Re: doctors visits and ICPC how does it work

• Our pediatrician likes to see the baby in the hospital, at 2 weeks for a weight check, and then at 1 month.

You should just find a local pediatrician who is willing to see the baby and give you copies of the medical records.  It could even be the pedi who sees the baby in the hospital.  You may or may not have to pay cash or out of network charges if your insurance won't let you change networks for such a short period of time (ours wouldn't), but the charges shouldn't be that high.  No vacs should be needed after the hospital until the 1 or even possibly 2 month appointment (depending on if they get the first dose of HepB in the hospital).  Here is a vac schedule:  https://aapredbook.aappublications.org/resources/IZSchedule0-6yrs.pdf

Also, you and your husband should go ahead and consider getting the  whooping cough (Pertussis) vaccines -- it is now given in a combo booster (Tdap) that will protect you from Tetanus, Diptheria and Pertussis.  Here is some info on Pertussis -- it is now an epidemic in California due to the number of un-vaccinated children and adults, very sad:  https://www.cdc.gov/Features/Pertussis/

• sh4602sh4602 member
    for us when we before we were discharged from the hospital we had to have an appointment set up. we were in the state for an extra week and they set an appointment up with the dr. who looked after him in the hospital they said if we went home before that we could cancel the appointment and go the dr we chose. i hope that helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • We stayed in Texas for 10 days after Ben's birth.  We didn't go to a pedi out there.  We waited until we got back and took Ben for a weight check at 2 weeks and then set up his 1 month appt.  If you're going to be spending an extra long time in another state then I might go to a pedi. I'm sure you could call and one would see you under the circumstances.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would discuss this with your agency, because it looks like it varies a lot.  In Nevada, the hospital said that we had to be seen by the pediatrician one week after birth.  The baby wasn't placed in our custody until three days after birth, so we knew we would still be in Nevada for his first appointment.  The agency told us which doctor we had to use, and we had no choice in the matter (which was fine - it's not like we knew of any NV pediatricians, anyway).  The baby had to be seen again at two weeks of age, which was tough because we didn't know where we would be.  We just waited, and ended up flying home on the day he turned 2 weeks old.  The very next day we called the pediatrician's office and were able to get an appointment for the next day, so he had his 2 week appointment at 2 weeks and 2 days, which was fine.
  • thanks everyone for their help we appreciate it
    Proud Momma of our daughter Charlie! She found her forever home August 2010 Hope to be the proud momma of #2 in July
  • The dr at the hospital told us to see a pedi at a week old. There was nothing wrong, that is just what they wanted. We were in FL and we ended up making the appt for when we got home. It was when he was 18 days old. We did find a pedi close to where we were staying just in case.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"