Potty Training

Anyone here doing 3DPT with a newborn in the house, too?

Am I nuts to even consider it at this time? Maybe I should wait until Gavin (the 6wk old) is a little older so he's not nursing quite as often? Did anyone here try/do it and can offer some insight/advice?

Re: Anyone here doing 3DPT with a newborn in the house, too?

• I think it could be done, but I'd think you need to enlist some help for a few days with your newborn and/or DD. The first 2 days were the hardest (for us) and there's no way I could have watched DD as closely as I needed to with a newborn (or, at least, not with the kind of newborn she was LOL). Maybe you could start on a weekend when your DH might be home so that at least 2 days will be covered? By day 3, my DD had it down, so it really was only the first 2 days that were so difficut. It took a few more days after that to master pooping and by then we were able to go out on errands too.

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker,Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker image
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    My son was ready to PT when I was pregnant but I kept holding it off because I was afraid he would regress.  When the baby arrived, he wasn't fazed so we decided to do it.  We did it when my DD was @ 5 weeks old.  To be honest, that was a perfect time because she was young enough that she still slept a lot of the time and just wanted snuggles.  So we would either keep her in her swing or wear her.  I also BF and it wasn't a big deal at all.  My DH would just watch DS during that time.  We found it easier to take "shifts" on watching DS during training.  DD is now 4 months old and I couldn't imagine doing it now- she wants to play and is more hands on.
  • Loading the player...
  • image*LrCg*:
    My son was ready to PT when I was pregnant but I kept holding it off because I was afraid he would regress.  When the baby arrived, he wasn't fazed so we decided to do it.  We did it when my DD was @ 5 weeks old.  To be honest, that was a perfect time because she was young enough that she still slept a lot of the time and just wanted snuggles.  So we would either keep her in her swing or wear her.  I also BF and it wasn't a big deal at all.  My DH would just watch DS during that time.  We found it easier to take "shifts" on watching DS during training.  DD is now 4 months old and I couldn't imagine doing it now- she wants to play and is more hands on.

Thank you for the inspiration to do it! I was just thinking last night that it's not like the baby is going to really ever be "easy" or as easy as just having one child in the house so might as well do it when I think DD is ready. Ugh....I'm terrified!!! lol

• I would never as you can't always just drop the baby and run to the toilet- wait a little longer until things settle more.  BUT do keep a potty chair available...
  • imagethomas&lynn:

image*LrCg*:

Thank you for the inspiration to do it! I was just thinking last night that it's not like the baby is going to really ever be "easy" or as easy as just having one child in the house so might as well do it when I think DD is ready. Ugh....I'm terrified!!! lol

Don't be terrified, pt is going great at our house.  I didn't know about the 3 day method until right now but we did go straight to undies and ds is doing great!  Only a few accidents in the past 3 weeks, they were right in front of the potty and were because he couldn't get his pants down fast enough.  Our nb is very relaxed and if I have to help ds while I'm nursing I just nurse on the floor by the potty or put a bouncy chair close to the potty and put the baby there for a minute.  He doesn't fuss when I interupt his meal, poor guy is used to it and is soo much more patient than his big brother ever was.  ds is peeing and pooping on the potty, I haven't changed a dirty diaper on him in almost a month, it is awesome!! We use pull ups at nap and bedtime which is against the rules I guess, but he has been waking up and asking to go potty in the middle of the night so I don't think they are slowing his progress.  Good luck!

• imagetrapani2be:

Don't be terrified, pt is going great at our house.  I didn't know about the 3 day method until right now but we did go straight to undies and ds is doing great!  Only a few accidents in the past 3 weeks, they were right in front of the potty and were because he couldn't get his pants down fast enough.  Our nb is very relaxed and if I have to help ds while I'm nursing I just nurse on the floor by the potty or put a bouncy chair close to the potty and put the baby there for a minute.  He doesn't fuss when I interupt his meal, poor guy is used to it and is soo much more patient than his big brother ever was.  ds is peeing and pooping on the potty, I haven't changed a dirty diaper on him in almost a month, it is awesome!! We use pull ups at nap and bedtime which is against the rules I guess, but he has been waking up and asking to go potty in the middle of the night so I don't think they are slowing his progress.  Good luck!

Gavin is already used to be interrupted a ton while nursing so I can tend to my 2yo so I'm hoping it will go as well for me as it has for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"