Preemies

every 3 hours

How long did you feed your LO every 3 hours? DS is now 8 weeks, he has gained weight and is doing well. I want to know if I could try to let him sleep through the night instead of waking him up every 3 hours. I hope that I can get him off the 3 hour schedule though....
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: every 3 hours

• After awhile it became apparent that by trying to wake him up every 3 hours he wouldn't eat as well because he still wanted to be sleeping. If we let him go to like 4-5 hours he'd take a better feeding with less fighting. I can't remember exactly when that was, I just remember following his cues, and because he was eating better overall, we went with it.
  • I stooped waking DS not too long after my due date, maybe a few weeks after. Our pedi told us we could let him go 6 hours at night only if he disnt wake up on his own. He did stick with 3 to 4 hour gaps for a while, but when he started to go longer, and even longer than 6 hours, I let him sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • i think we switched to on demand when DS was 10 weeks. when i stopped waking him, he got up once in the middle of the night and after about a week, he dropped that feeding as well.
  • I would talk to your pediatrician. My pedi was adamant on me keeping DS on a schedule... but I don't remember when that stopped. It's all a big blur for me. =P
    - - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • My LO is sleeping 8 hrs but i do wake her once to feed her at night...i asked her pedi and she said that thats great...she needs to keep her weight up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We let them sleep 4 hours at night if they went that long.. until they were about 8lbs. and I think around 12 weeks old.  I figured at that point they were the weight of a typical baby and those mom's don't usually wake up LOs to eat.  We always fed them every 3 hours during the day until they started eating solid foods and then we weaned bottles after that.  I think having them eat every 3 hours during the day really helped them learn to STTN earlier.

• We stopped after her 2 month pedi appointment because he said she could go 5-6 hours. She was 8 lbs 6 ozs.  She never went more than 4 hours until recently when the nutritionist put her on one bottle a day of Enfacare (She was all breast milk) Now with the formula before bed she sleeps 7 hours before waking to eat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We stopped waking DS right around his due date (nearly 10lbs).  He started waking only twice over 12 hours right away, sleeping 6 hours, then 3 hours.  Around 2.5 months actual he was consistently waking once after 7-8 hours (had been alternating once or twice a night) and then from 3.5 months slept 11-12 hours straight.  He was on BM fortified with Neosure until 1 week after his due date and then was EBF.
  • I think that was about the time dd started going 4-5 hrs between feedings.  We would do a dream feed at about 11pm, and she would make it a little longer.  But it didn't really matter to me because I was getting up every 3 hrs to pump!  At least dh got a little more sleep!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LOL, I don't have to wake her, she wakes on her own every 2.5-3 hours.  She typically takes 2-3 oz.  The only times she ever goes longer is when I'm wearing her for some reason.  But I too pump so it works because I pump right after each of her feedings.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"