Boston Babies
Options

Which is better a travel system or purchasing car seat/stroller seperately?

Hello, My husband and I were registering and we selected one of the Safety1st travel systems. However, someone mentioned to us that it would be advisable to get a seperate system instead of a combo. I am looking for safety, ease of use and longetivity (aren't we all). I would appreciate any advice suggestions, etc. Thank you in advance.

Re: Which is better a travel system or purchasing car seat/stroller seperately?

• Options

have you seen/read the Baby Bargains book? it was my Bible when i was trying to figure out things to register for.  the give the Safety 1st (Cosco brand) a pretty crappy rating.  this is an excerpt:

"they allegedly sold thougsands of convertible seats AFTER the co. knew a plastic notches in the seat caused skull fractures in low speed crashes."  

also this " in 1996 the AAP told parents to NOT use shield boosters b/c of numerous injuries.  yet Cosco continued to sell these boosters until 2004.  they have since settled dozens of lawsuits."

just wanted to let you know that info b/c they do not seem to be a safe  or reliable company.  we have the Chicco Keylift car seat and travel system. it gets a great rating for safety in the book.  a lot of people hate  travel systems b/c they tend to be bulky, but i liked it fine.  the stroller is a bit heavy but I have only had and needed this one stroller so far.  if you want to get a Snap n go frame for your seat and then just get an umbrella stroller after your LO moves to a big car seat , i know  a lot of moms who have done that and were happy. 

imageimage

• Options

I agree the Chico Keyfit is great, and the snap-n-go is well worth the money. Chico continues to get great reviews and is quality equipment for the price.

Note - The car seat does not latch on many shopping carts - they are not supposed to.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you, I will have to stop by Barnes n Noble and look for that book. The system, we looked at is I think by Air Protect Safety 1st. Instead of the styrofoam side impact, it gently fills with air. Surronding the babies head. From what we read online, the same air displacement they use for stunt men when they jump and land on a large mat, the air fills around them, gently displacing the impact. I don't know if this is the Costco or not. But I will take another look. I will also check out the Chico Keyfit. Thank you.
  • Options
    IMO I like the travel systems because one I like my stuff to match and second there is a price break. buying everything separately will be more money in the long run. We got the Gracco Quattro. it pretty much got the same rating on consumer reports and the Chicco and it was like $50 less.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I chose not to go with a travel system because they are so heavy and bulky.  I got a Graco Snugride infant car seat and a Snap and Go.  I also got a jogging stroller for when the baby is a little older.

I also can't recommend Baby Bargains highly enough... get it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Skip the travel system...it's my best tip to all my preg friends.  Get a snap-n-go instead.  They are durable, light weight, and inexpensive.  After the snap-n-go, you can get an umbrella or a jogger.  By that time, you will really know how you use your stroller (terrain, mall, long/short rides, etc) and can make amore informed decision.  

Also I know some people think the snap n go won't make it in New England but don't even worry.  My son was born in January in Boston.  We did our first mile walk on February 2nd, 2 days after a snow storm.  My snap n go wen t up and over snow banks and through slushy messes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"