1st Trimester

If you're due mid February when do you have a shower?

So if you are due in mid February or February at all when do you have your shower?

I was thinking that January is no good cause that's too close, plus people will have spent a boat load of money during the holidays so you know, less money, smaller gift. (Yeah I know but that is the purpose of the baby shower right? Otherwise I'd buy everything myself)

In December I'd have to do it like the first week so that it doesn't run too close to the holidays and again people haven't spent too much yet. However, the first weekend of December DH and I have our yearly tree trimming party where we invite all our friends and family to come and help us trim the tree. It's become a tradition since we bought our condo. People look forward to it all year, me included and we don't want to skip it this year as we hope to be in a new home and it would serve as our house warming.

So then what November? Before turkey day? Is that too early? It sounds like it. But then maybe that would be a blessing in disguise?? I wouldn't be HUGE and it will be easier to find something to wear and I'll probably be less exhausted. What do you ladies think?

Re: If you're due mid February when do you have a shower?

• Traditionally a baby shower is 4-6 weeks before the due date.  It also kind of depends on what the person throwing the shower for you wants to do.  Has anyone offered to throw a shower yet?
  • Whatever works for you and the hostess I would guess. Early to Mid-November is a *tad* early but if that is what works best for you, and you can guarantee the best attendance then, go for it. People get so busy close to the holidays. Just asking, but is your annual tree trimming get together an official housewarming party where people are expected to bring gifts? I am sure people are stoked for both of your wonderful life changes you are celebrating, but if it were me, I'd be a bit annoyed at having to buy two gifts :P Other people wouldn't care though, that's just what initially went through my head.

For my sisters shower, she was due in October, and we had her shower in June. She was expecting twins and was afraid she'd go into early labor or not enjoy it as much closer to her due date. Good thing too because a month later she was hospitalized for a month then had her twins 6 weeks early! (they're fine now ;) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'd try for a November shower because of the holidays.  I think it's nice to have your shower(s) earlier, so you have time to get the remaining items off of your registry.  I've been to showers for people that were 20-22 weeks and for people that are 37 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Naa I wouldn't expect a gift for my tree trimming. Although most people bring a different ornament each year, you can imagine how overloaded my tree is after 5 years of parties! I wouldn't even really call it a house warming, just that most people will see it for the first time then. HOPEFULLY we have the house, if not we will still do it at the condo.

My 2 closest friends and my mom have all chimed in and offered to do the shower. But really it will be a group effort as I don't want to have to charge for it and I don't want them to be burdened with the cost alone so we'll all chip in.

• My mom threw me a shower and wanted to do it in November, before the holidays because that worked best for her. That was perfectly fine with me and everyone could make it.
  • Well good luck with your new home, hope you're in it in time for your annual party. That sounds like a fun time!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• My due date is Feb 1st & we will have our shower in mid November b/c DH is going to be deployed the middle of December.  That way he can be here at least for the shower!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was due on Feb 12 with my first son, and had the shower the second weekend in Dec.

It is a tricky time of year for sure :)

• I hate to be negative...but this post sounds a bit ridiculous to me. You're concerned about when to have a shower because you don't want people to have recently spent a lot of money...so that they won't be able to buy you a nice gift? Is that the point of a shower? Call me crazy, but I thought it was to be able to celebrate a special event in your life with those close to you. Yes, the gifts are nice and helpful, but it's totally not the point. You also sound like you're trying to do what's most convenient for YOU, not the people planning the party, or your guests. You're sounding a little gift grubby...

Please tell me I'm not the only person who thought this...

• Not to mention...no one is goign to go to a housewarming party without bringing a gift...

And you're concerned about what you're going to wear to your shower already? I think you're missing the point....

• I was due in Feb with my first and had it in mid-November. I didn't want it in Dec because of the holidays and I didn't want it in Jan due to the fact I was most likely going to be on bedrest. It was a good idea because I was on bedrest at 35w and had my baby at 36w2d.
  • I think the concern should be what date would be most convenient for the hostess and majority of those invited so that those that want to most attend won't have too many conflicting holiday functions....not when would be most convenient for the guest's bank account
    6/14/10 BFP; 6/30/10 Dx ectopic
    11/16/10 BFP #2; DD born 7/26/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • I'm due Feb. 11th and I'm actually having two showers. The majority of my family and old friends (from high school and such) are still in Dallas, so my mom and a girlfriend of mine want to have one there in Oct - Nov before the holidays. Then a couple of my Phoenix friends want to have a shower here closer to my due date. I feel a little odd having two showers, but it was offered and I would really like to be able to include everyone from home without expect them to fly 1,200 miles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was thinking the same thing. Not like we're to that point yet, but I have been daydreaming a lot about how things will work out. It is likely that DH and I will be moving out of state - away from friends and family in a couple of months.

We want to have the same type of experience, but I don't know. Is it rude to come back home for a baby shower after we move?

I know this will get me flamed - but if not, I am afraid we're going to be screwed in the gift department. (I'm hoping for a shower because this is our first and we will have a lot of financial strain in the next year) Ah well, it will work out.

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• imageK&D3:
    I'm due Feb. 11th and I'm actually having two showers. The majority of my family and old friends (from high school and such) are still in Dallas, so my mom and a girlfriend of mine want to have one there in Oct - Nov before the holidays. Then a couple of my Phoenix friends want to have a shower here closer to my due date. I feel a little odd having two showers, but it was offered and I would really like to be able to include everyone from home without expect them to fly 1,200 miles.

Sorry to ask, but how in the heck do you have 2 showers already?

Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120

All Welcome

Chart

• It's not like the showers are set in stone or anything. My family and oldest friends live in Dallas so that's why I'll probably have one there hosted by my Mom and friend, Cara. I live in Phoenix now and since BF and I have friends here as well a friend of ours is going to throw and shower here. More than anything the shower in Dallas is just an excuse to go home, see family and friends and have a little vacation.
  • imageK&D3:
    It's not like the showers are set in stone or anything. My family and oldest friends live in Dallas so that's why I'll probably have one there hosted by my Mom and friend, Cara. I live in Phoenix now and since BF and I have friends here as well a friend of ours is going to throw and shower here. More than anything the shower in Dallas is just an excuse to go home, see family and friends and have a little vacation.

Yeah - no dates are picked, but I guess I am just a little shocked that it's already been offered at 7 weeks. (although, like I said, I had already been thinking about it)

Oh and a sidenote (since I am full of it today) - if showers were not for gifts, then why is it tradition to only throw showers for first time moms?

All Welcome

Chart

• Believe me I was a little shocked too when my friend offered, but she was excited and I thought it was sweet. I hadn't thought about a shower until then, but hey, I'm just enjoying all this as it comes.

And as far as showers being for gifts...uh yeah...anyone who says they aren't is full of it. It's not ALL about the gifts, but considering how much stuff a baby needs it's only natural to get excited about gifts. 

• Traditionally, you'd do it in January.  It's supposed to be about a month before baby comes.

• i was JUST talking to DH about this today!! we're in the same boat.. i don't want it in january because that seems so close, and with all the craziness of the holidays (vacations, etc) i'm not sure it would work. but my aunt is due early december so that won't work either. i think november =)
  • Had you possibly said you didn't want to have it in January because people would have spent a lot of money and you don't want to burden them... cool.  But worrying you'll get shafted on gifts is sad.

So... better you have it early and they shaft someone who should have gotten a Christmas gift.

Sigh... 

• My mom and I were just talking about when my shower should be yesterday!   I'm pregnant with twins and due Feb 4.   We decided that the first week of November would be a good idea.  I think that is week 27 for me.   If I were pregnant with 1, I would look into having it the first week of December.   I had my bridal shower the first week of December, and most people were able to make it and it worked out well.

When is your due date?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm due 2/5, but will probably have a mid-November shower because twins rarely go full term and I may be on bedrest the month of December because multiple pregnancies are high risk.  I never thought about the holiday season though, it is a pretty valid point.  People have so many commitments and it is hard to find a weekend that works for everyone.  I, personally, however, would prefer a later shower (you are supposed to be big at your shower, it's part of the fun), but that is just my opinion.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was due in Feb and had a shower in December before all the holidays began. It was nice because then I had about 7 more weeks to get anything else I needed, organize, etc. Congrats and good luck!
  • Im due January 12th, with my first. Very excited. My husband and I live 9 hours from my family and 18 hours from his family. I too have also been offered to have showers thrown for me by both sides of family and friends, and since they live so far away from us and each other they want to have two different ones, and I am fine traveling for it. It would be inconvenient for them to make them buy plane tickets to come to me for one, so I dont think its a big deal at all. Its exciting and really thoughtful that they are thinking so far in advance.
  • My cousin, who offered to host my shower, asked me the other day about this.  We were thinking that the first week of January would probably be a good idea.  I'm due 2/12. 

And I agree that the sole purpose of a shower is for gifts.  That is actually WHY it is called a "shower".  So those who care about the mother (or bride) to be can "shower" them with gifts to start the new phase of their life.

• We did November for my sister in law (who was due this past mid Feb.) for all the reasons you mentioned... the holidays, plus we had people traveling from PA and we wanted to get it in before the bad snow storms!

Good thing we did because it was a bad winter.

Nobody thought it was weird or had anything to say!

• it's pretty easy. IF someone offers to throw you a shower, you pick a date that works for both you AND your hostess. 

If she wants to throw it in January, you'll have it in January.

• imageStina4242:

We did November for my sister in law (who was due this past mid Feb.) for all the reasons you mentioned... the holidays, plus we had people traveling from PA and we wanted to get it in before the bad snow storms!

This. The weather in Pa and NJ around that time is so unpredictable, its better to have it earlier so your guests don't have to worry about snowstorms. If this year is anything like last year I don't think I will leave my house!!! 

lilypie First Birthday tickers
    image image
    MY BLOG A Stay At Home Moms Search For All Things Sensational
  • I'm due Feb. 6 and I've thought about this, too, if anyone even offers to throw a shower.  Ultimately it is up to the host(s).  I think early December would be my preference but I will be grateful to have a shower at all (don't have a lot of friends, especially local). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"