Minnesota Babies
Options

Opinions on St. Joseph's - St Paul

Initially, I was going to deliver at United (Allina) - I like the idea that they are connected right to Children's (and it's close). But I also live close to St. Joseph's (Health East).

Any thoughts? I obviously want a natural birth if possible, and have even been toying with the idea of a water birth and a midwife. Not entirely sure.

My current OB-GYN (Parkview) is awesome but she only delivers at United and water birth is not an option. After my second appt (7/12), I need to make a decision. The transition will be ez.

Thoughts???

Re: Opinions on St. Joseph's - St Paul

• Options

I had my c/section (planned) at St. Joe's and have nothing but good things to say about the rooms, nurses, building, process, everything!

My one and only complaint is that I wish they had true lactation consultants. Instead of the nurses that are just trained in lactation, kwim? They knew what they were talking about but I did have one or two nurses that I could tell they didn't see just how important nursing was to me and tried to push bottles of formula on me and dd.

Other than that though everything went so smoothly and I felt like I was staying in a hotel : )

I didn't do it, but I do know they have a water birthing room as well. 

• Options

Thanks for sharing! Since no one was replying, I was getting nervous! I know all hospitals get positive and negative reviews -but I appreciate your experience! Your kid is absolutely squishy adorable! Those eyes!

Right now, I hope for natural birth (if that is the way the pregnancy goes of course) but if it all goes rather well and I'm in pretty good shape, I'd at least like the possibility of choice for a water birth - and nursing is something I hope I can do. Thanks for the info!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have had a few friends who delivered at St. Joes using midwives and they had great experiences. They used the water birth tubs too. I delivered at St. Johns with a midwife and definitely would recommend a midwife. I'm surprised St. Joe's doesn't have a lactation consultant? When I checked out of St. Johns they gave me info about their Healtheast lactation consultant hotline# and you can also make an appt. with them for further follow up. I called the number a few times with breastfeeding questions and they were extremely helpful.

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesnoboardbabe77:

Thanks for sharing! Since no one was replying, I was getting nervous! I know all hospitals get positive and negative reviews -but I appreciate your experience! Your kid is absolutely squishy adorable! Those eyes!

Right now, I hope for natural birth (if that is the way the pregnancy goes of course) but if it all goes rather well and I'm in pretty good shape, I'd at least like the possibility of choice for a water birth - and nursing is something I hope I can do. Thanks for the info!

I am seriously considering switching from Fairview Riverside to St. Joe's because of the increased possibility of a natural birth and the fact that their c-section rate is so much lower than average.  I'm a first-timer, so I don't know from experience, but I called and they said I could take an informal tour at any time - I just have to call an hour in advance to make sure someone will be available to show me and DH around.  Interestingly, my DH is intrigued by this water birthing idea (I would've expected him to think it was crazy), so that's another plus about St. Joe's.  HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

if you want a natural, med free, low intervention birth, go to St. Joes hands down. 

They have by far and away the lowest c/s rate in the state.  

• Options

St Joes has a lactation consultant.. shes just SUPER busy... 

so right when your baby comes out or even before see if they can make an appt with her.. yes thats right an APPOINTMENT hahaha

• Options

Let me know what you end up doing Genevieve - I heard the c-section rate at United was pretty high also. I think, assuming all is well, a firm decision by the mother/father will reign-but I am also a first timer (congrats!) so we have no idea what to expect and I just don't want to be "pushed" into making a decision just b/c it's my first time. I am pretty sure at this point that I will switch. It is nothing against United - but I have heard from several ppl that St Joseph's is slightly less medicalized, less intervention, etc. I am very intrigued by this water birthing thing too (I thought too my hubby was would) but he seemed very open to the idea. I plan to tour and have heard the rooms are large/open and comfortable.

• Options
    imagesnoboardbabe77:

I think, assuming all is well, a firm decision by the mother/father will reign-

this is a common misperception. And only partially true. There are things that can be done to override many of the interventions hospitals want, but a lot of times, the hospital wins. It's amazing how bullying OB/MW/LD RNs can be. (not all are this way of course). 

It's usually easier to find a practitioner that believes in the same type of things you do. Find a doctor/midwife that prefers low intervention, find one with a low c/s rate. If you find that their ideals don't jive with yours, switch! The same can be said for VBAC docs (which I am looking for). A lot of them SAY they'll VBAC and say they're supportive of it...until the mother is actually in labor, and then all of a sudden it's intervention after intervention and VIOLA! another c/s.  

• Options
    imagechristin3580:

St Joes has a lactation consultant.. shes just SUPER busy... 

so right when your baby comes out or even before see if they can make an appt with her.. yes thats right an APPOINTMENT hahaha

Aw man I had no idea!

and just for the record my c/s was planned because dd was breech. Not because anybody at St. Joe's pushed one me. Just thought I'd add that : ) 

• Options

i know nothing about st. joe's other than my doctor said i could deliver at any hospital in town except st. joe's.  i don't know the details at all, but it was something about some issues/lawsuit/problem with delivery(ies).  supposedly there was never a doctor on staff 24/7 previously, and after whatever this incident was, now st. joe's (and woodwinds) is implementing a 24/7 doctor in house soon or recently.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news - i literally know no other details or facts, but that's what i heard so maybe worth inquiring?  just looking out for the other mom's-to-be out there!  i'm having a really difficult time deciding where to go as well...

• Options

I'm leaning towards st. josephs as well. ?

but just a note about the higher c-section rate at united: ?many high risk pregnancy couples choose to deliver there because of the NICU and Children's being attached. ?This automatically ups the c-section rate (ie, people who know they may need one often opt to deliver there)

• Options
    imagewifey26:

i know nothing about st. joe's other than my doctor said i could deliver at any hospital in town except st. joe's.  i don't know the details at all, but it was something about some issues/lawsuit/problem with delivery(ies).  supposedly there was never a doctor on staff 24/7 previously, and after whatever this incident was, now st. joe's (and woodwinds) is implementing a 24/7 doctor in house soon or recently.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news - i literally know no other details or facts, but that's what i heard so maybe worth inquiring?  just looking out for the other mom's-to-be out there!  i'm having a really difficult time deciding where to go as well...

Can you get details on this? I think it's unfair of the hospital to be posting this information without anything to back it up.

FWIW, I have asked all of my friends within the birthing community (including a friend who is a L&D nurse at Joes) and no one had any idea what I was talking about.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"