Going to be coming to Chicago - need help!!!! — The Bump
Chicago Babies

Going to be coming to Chicago - need help!!!!

Hi, Sorry to invade your Chicago board but I am hoping you guys can help me out....

So, we are probably crazy, but the hubs and I - along with out 2 babies - (will be 2.5 and 1 at the time) will be coming to Chicago in September. I am originally from about an hour away from Chicago and we will be coming there, then renting a car and going to see my family.

Thing is, we are tacking this trip on to a seminar I have to go to in Chicago. For 1.5 days, my husband will have the kids in Chicago by himself. I will be with them at night... but we will be staying an extra 2 days to enjoy Chicago too.

Seminar is at Doubletree Rosemont.

I want to stay in a hotel on the magnificient mile. I think that will obviously provide more for them to do during the day.  Best I can tell, if I left an hour before seminar, I could take the blue line to rosemont and walk a few blocks to the hotel and have time to spare.

I would have to do this there and back 2 days in a row, would that completely suck??  Would it be better or worse for us to just rent a car? 

Also, We will be flying in... we will have lots of stuff.... short of taking the train and if we do not get a car, how will I get my babies from airport to hotel downtown?

I need a fellow mommy who is used to the city to help me sort through this!  I APPRECIATE ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS.

Thanks!!!

Re: Going to be coming to Chicago - need help!!!!

• I think taking the blue line to the seminar would be fine (a lot of people do this comute (or the reverse) every day), but I'd allow yourself some more time.  It'll probably take 15 minutes to walk from Michigan Avenue to the blue line and it's about a 45 minute trip out to Rosemont plus however far you have to walk to get to the seminar.  Driving would probably take just as much time (if not more).

Will you have your car seats with you?  If so, can you take a cab from the airport to the hotel?  The cab cost though plus the cost to park a car at a hotel might end up costing more than a rental car. 

If it was me, for the sake of making everything easy, I'd probably rent a car and drive the first day to the seminar.  If the drive sucks the first day, I'd take the el the next day. 

HTH!  Have a fun trip!   

TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So if I was in your situation, I'd probably rent a car to get myself from the airport to the hotel (knowing that this would probably be more costly than cabbing it because you'd have to park the car at the hotel for a few days) because it would just be more convenient than trying to get everyone in a cab, hooking up--and then storing at the hotel--car seats, fitting luggage, pnp, stroller,etc., and then take the train out to the seminar. If money is an issue though, than you might want to just deal with the struggle of the cab because it will easily save you a few hundred in car rental and hotel parking rates (which are like $40+ per day).

I commute downtown each day from the northwest side of the city--not too far from O'hare, and I can tell you that the reverse commute many times looks worse than the inbound side. There is so much to do for your H downtown that I'd say that staying down there is the right choice--he probably won't even take the car out of parking for the few days you are downtown. But like PP said, definitely allow yourself a little bit more time than a hour door to door--trains run frequently, but don't underestimate the amount of time it will take you to walk to the blue line and to the seminar. GL!! 

Will baby #3 be another girl?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

]

• Loading the player...
  • imageStella2008:

So if I was in your situation, I'd probably rent a car to get myself from the airport to the hotel (knowing that this would probably be more costly than cabbing it because you'd have to park the car at the hotel for a few days) because it would just be more convenient than trying to get everyone in a cab, hooking up--and then storing at the hotel--car seats, fitting luggage, pnp, stroller,etc., and then take the train out to the seminar. If money is an issue though, than you might want to just deal with the struggle of the cab because it will easily save you a few hundred in car rental and hotel parking rates (which are like $40+ per day).

I commute downtown each day from the northwest side of the city--not too far from O'hare, and I can tell you that the reverse commute many times looks worse than the inbound side. There is so much to do for your H downtown that I'd say that staying down there is the right choice--he probably won't even take the car out of parking for the few days you are downtown. But like PP said, definitely allow yourself a little bit more time than a hour door to door--trains run frequently, but don't underestimate the amount of time it will take you to walk to the blue line and to the seminar. GL!! 

I agree about the train. Give yourself more than an hour (but yes, this is less than what it would take if you tried to drive during rush hour).  Personally, I'd just take cabs.  parking at the hotel will be sooo expensive 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards