South Carolina Babies
Options

Intro: Hello SC Moms!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Renee and I am new to the Columbia area.  My hubby, son and I moved here at the end of January, due to change in work position for hubby, and I am a SAHM to our 4 yr old.  I have been having a difficult time getting used to this area as we have no friends or family near and it seems there isn't a whole lot to do. It feels like we live out in the middle of nowhere. :(  I struggle with activities for my son and I on a day to day basis.  If anyone can provide suggestions for activities or good ways to meet other moms in the area I would really appreciate it!!  I need new friends!  TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro: Hello SC Moms!

• Options

Hi Renee,

Welcome to the area!  I hope others will chime in and offer up some more suggestions.  If we all contribute a couple of things, hopefully we can help ward off your boredom in no time!

Here are a few suggestions - HTH.

*EdVenture (Children's museum) https://www.edventure.org/.

*Finlay Park concerts on Friday night.  More info on Columbia activities is at: https://www.columbiasc.net/, or details on the concerts are available at: https://www.columbiasc.net/depts/parks_recreation/downloads/SCS_2010_Lineup.pdf

*There is a great zoo (Riverbanks Zoo.) https://www.riverbanks.org/  

*some more ideas are at https://www.columbia4kids.com/attractions.php

*Here's something you don't find just everywhere: I offer temporary tattoos and body art using safe, non-toxic materials.  I am hoping to stage a free get-together for mommies and mommies-to-be in the area.  (Please see my post on the SC board for more details.)  Fun for kids, as well as challenging for the artist to draw on a moving target!  :)

Best of luck to you!

• Options

Hi! I'm in the Greenville area, but went to school in Columbia, lived there for a few years pre kids, in-laws live there now, and have a lot of friends there. Anyway, where did you move from? I thought there is a good bit of stuff for kids to do there. The previous poster said a good many things. Hope you find yourself liking the area better soon!

Pick up that magazine for parents - its free and at many places. Midlands Parents or something? They also make it up here in Greenville....called Upsate Parents. Anyway, there is a website to go along with the one up here, maybe there is there too. Try momslikeme.com? Also maybe try www.meetup.com. I found a SAHM group up here through that site when my older son was 4 months old and it helped me find many new fellow SAHM friends. Good luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you for your reply!  I will start looking at the links you provided and go from there.

I did take my son to the zoo a couple months ago and we really enjoyed that!!  I will def check out the concerts in the park!

Thanks for sharing info about the body art.  I was actually looking into getting another real tattoo and then I found out I was knocked up!!  I will check out the post.

Thanks again! 

• Options
    imageCarolinaKatie:

Hi! I'm in the Greenville area, but went to school in Columbia, lived there for a few years pre kids, in-laws live there now, and have a lot of friends there. Anyway, where did you move from? I thought there is a good bit of stuff for kids to do there. The previous poster said a good many things. Hope you find yourself liking the area better soon!

Pick up that magazine for parents - its free and at many places. Midlands Parents or something? They also make it up here in Greenville....called Upsate Parents. Anyway, there is a website to go along with the one up here, maybe there is there too. Try momslikeme.com? Also maybe try www.meetup.com. I found a SAHM group up here through that site when my older son was 4 months old and it helped me find many new fellow SAHM friends. Good luck to you!

Thank you!  I will look into those as well!! 

• Options

The library also has story hour during the day and I know a lot of moms that go to that as well, and it's free!  Also, AMC movies has a $1 movie all summer on Tuesday mornings....

Check out meetup.com as well.  I  know there's a local mom's meetup group.  That would be a fabulous way to meet other moms. 

I also posted months back a "get-together" on this board at a local restaurant, just picked a time and date and met three other moms, one with whom I'm very good friends with now.  Take the initiative and do so!  :)  It turned out to be one of the best things that I did.

Good luck.  If you want to email me, I'm in Columbia, waiting to give birth...due date Saturday...and not working currently.  I can at least help you with the area.....  stefcav at gmail dot com

• Options

Hi!  I hang out with the poster above!  I met her at the dinner she arranged :)

My email is  lesalia17 at zoominternet dot net.  I am looking for things to do too.  I also recommend www.meetup.com  There is a really good SAHM NE Columbia meet up group.  They have alot of good activities for a 4yr old.  

• Options
    Thank you ladies!  I appreciate the input and will definitely check out that site!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"