Pregnant after 35
Options

CVS experiences?

I haven't posted on this board before but I figured that a number of you may have experience with CVS. I have a CVS scheduled in a week and a half and I just wanted to know what to expect. I am skipping the NT scan and going straight to the diagnostic testing. I also thought about the amnio but I can't schedule that until 17 weeks (if I do the amnio, my insurance requires I do it with the anatomy scan) and that is a lot longer to wait. Of course I'd rather get results sooner rather than later.

Did anyone here opt to wait for the amnio instead of CVS?

If you had CVS, how was it? Painful?

Re: CVS experiences?

• Options
    I had a cvs after having sketchy NT bloodwork results. All is well but I am so glad I did it. They ended up doing it abdominally like an amnio b/c of the baby's position. I had no numbing meds on the spot which was scary but it did not really hurt. It was over quickly. Just remember to rest the next few days. For the peace of mind it brought, I highly recommend it. As I said I was not planning it (I was 34 and had no soft markers at the NT scan) but so glad I was able to do it. GL.
  • Options
    We went in for a CVS test and ended up not doing it and instead opted to wait for an Amnio. Here's why...the miscarriage rate for a CVS test is 1/100 and for an amnio it was 1/1000. They did an ultra sound and measured the baby's back of the neck and size and all the measurements looked perfect. The genetic counselor went through our medical history and determined our risk was extremely low and she didn't see a need for the CVS test. Since everything looked so good we opted to wait for the amnio. I left the apt feeling so much better about our pregnancy....although I am really looking forward to the peace of mind the amnio will provide.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FYI I was given a 1/500 risk of m/c with cvs. I am not sure what factors they take into account with that.
  • Options

I had CVS with prev. preg. after NT results came back 1 in 5 chance of a problem.  I was told 1 in 200 chance of m/c with CVS, versus 1 in 400 chance of m/c with amnio, FWIW.  

The CVS procedure was pretty simple, it was like a slightly more intense pap smear, in terms of the pain/discomfort.  There was bleeding for a day or two afterwards.  I remember resting in bed for the day of the procedure, and I stayed home and took it easy the day after, also.   

We paid extra $$ for FISH results, so we got the answer on the next business day (unfortunately our CVS was on a friday, so we didn't hear until monday).  

Wishing you all the best! 

• Options
    I ?had amnio with previous preg. b/c of post-CVS miscarriage concern. This time we were told that at that particular place the miscarriage rates for CVS and amnio are the similar. Our 1st tri screening results were excellent but we still went for CVS because we needed to be 100% sure. The problem with amnio is that by the time you know the results the baby is about 18 weeks and it's much harder to terminate at that point. During CVS the physician tried going trans-vaginally twice, which was very uncomfortable and even painful. It didn't work b/c of the position of placenta, so he went trans-abdominally on the third try and it worked. It was also much faster and I didn't feel any pain. I had a post-CVS complication though: a blood clot formed in the uterus, presumably because of his first two unsuccessful tries. The baby was not affected by the clot. I had very light spotting for 2-3 weeks after the procedure, but then it went away. Overall, we are very happy we did it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just had a CVS about a week and a half ago.  I had it trans-abdominally...felt a pinch as the needle went in and some minor cramping during the procedure, but it really was no big deal.  I had some minor cramps following the procedure, but no other side effects.  Went home and stayed in bed for the rest of the day, and took it easy the next few days.  We are still waiting for the results...seems like forever!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My CVS was very uncomfortable for a cervical procedure. I hear the abdominal is much less painful. I only spotted a single drop immediately after and then I only had the the brown they stuff they use to sterilize as discharge. Make sure you rest for at least 48 hours after the procedure. I noticed that just walking up a flight of stairs made me crampy for a couple days, so definitely take some time off.

Also, the numbers you hear about the difference in CVS vs. Amnio are really not true. CVS is very safe as long as you go to an experienced doctor. Check their history before you have them do the procedure. I asked a lot of people about my doctor and everyone said he was fabulous.

I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Options
    I had a CVS about six months ago at ten weeks pg. It was fast and only slightly uncomfortable. I had no post-procedure bleeding, and the results came out 46XY, which means a healthy baby boy. I would highly recommend the test because of how early you can get results to give you peace of mind.
  • Options

I had CVS thru my stomach and it wasn't painful, he was awesome. I relaxed the rest of the day with no issues and went back to work next day.

We found out there were no chromosome issues and that we're having a boy!

Was neat to find out early and put the worries behind us!  Best of luck to you.

• Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
  • Options
    MAtoNCMAtoNC member

I had a CVS through the abdominal wall, too. I have a retroverted uterus, so transvaginal wasn't an option.

I had no pain while the needle was going in. The doc said "that's the hardest part"--and then all of a sudden, my uterus cramped up. I think the surprise was what made it difficult--if you are prepared that it might happen, maybe it will be a lot easier if it does.

Rate of  miscarriage with CVS various depending on the provider. I had mine done at a MFM practice affiliated with a large research hospital. They had only 2 docs in the practice that did ALL of their CVSs. The more practice a doc has, the lower the rate of complications.

Also, keep in mind, that the demographic of women who choose to have a CVS skews higher risk for miscarriage even before the CVS is performed--and this factors into the miscarriage rate. 

One last thing to keep in mind. Sometimes the results of the karotyping do not provide the black and white answers you are looking for. Be prepared, just in case. What will you do if there is an anomaly that can't be explained?

We got our fish results back in 48 hours. 46, XY. No trisomy, and our baby was a boy! We relaxed, and then we received the full results a week later. Our son had a large paracentric inversion of chromosome 1. 

They couldn't tell us ANYTHING about what this would mean for our son. It could mean anything from "fetal loss" to birth defects to mental retardation to NOTHING. That made things more stressful throughout the rest of the pregnancy. So far, it appears our baby is typically developing. And we had our own karotyping done to see if he inherited it. My husband has an inversion, as well--which is a good sign that our son will be alright.

I'm still glad we had the CVS, though. When we got the results back, the MFM ordered a fetal echo for later in the pregnancy and more regular ultrasounds and NSTs. 

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options

Actually had my CVS today.  Through the cervix, there was some cramping, but I've had an HSG, this was no worse.  I'm on 24 hour bedrest, only had a little spotting so far right after the procedure.

If the doctor is good, then your chances of miscarriage actually aren't much higher than if you have an amnio.  

We decided we'd rather know now if there is a problem, but we're not going to find out the sex.

GL with your decision

IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.
  • Options

I had my CVS done in SF at CPMC and they are pioneers of the procedure, which drastically lowers the risks.  It was a really positive experience for me.

p.s. i love your pic - I have 2 weiners myself:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"