Postpartum Depression
Options

What to do when DH isn't supportive?

In the past 10 years, I have gone through 4 rounds of anti-depression meds and DH has seen me through 2 of those rounds.  He never really understood why I wanted to go on medicine and why I couldn't just "relax and get over things."  The last round of Cymbalta really did wonders for me.  However, PP, I am now feeling the anxiety I have always had but never treated come to fruition.  After talking with you gals, I feel like I would really benefit from a course of meds.  I have tried to talk this over with DH many times and he is very quick to dismiss my feelings and leave me unvalidated.  He thinks I just need to take it slow, not get worried so much, and take more time to relax.  I try to tell him that it isn't really possible.  I am a WAHM and work every nap DD takes, which isn't often.  She is into everything now, so that leaves me little time for housework, and no time for relaxing.  It really isn't possible for me to do what he suggests.  Anyhow, I feel like I am going through this alone and am leery of seeking medical help when I would have no one to turn to.  Anti-depressants have always given me that loopy feeling and I know if something like that happened while caring for DD, he would just get mad at me for putting myself first.  Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: What to do when DH isn't supportive?

• Options
    Would he be willing to go to a therapy session with you? I think that may help him better understand what you are going through.
  • Options
    My husband was not supportive of me taking medication or seeking medical help. But I did it anyway. I know it was a gutsy move, but you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others. With a doctor's help I found medication that helped me feel better and now I can work full time and take care of my daughter and husband. My husband still doesn't like that I'm on medication, but I think he would rather have a calm and collected wife instead of the anxious, nervous, depressed person that I was.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageGina418:
    Would he be willing to go to a therapy session with you? I think that may help him better understand what you are going through.

Definately not.  He could never talk about his feelings in front of an outsider, much less me.  I think may have to make like the PPer and just seek help without his blessing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

My dh is on paxil for anxiety issues and panic attacks. He has been on it for years. Hasn't had a panic attack since, and we have been through some rough moments with our ds, who was dx with autism last year. Ever since my ds was dx last year, my anxiety levels skyrocketed, I couldn't sleep, I was depressed, etc. So about 6 months ago, I went to my doctor, without even telling my dh (he didn't want me to have to go on the meds like he did, because of all the side effects). Only after she prescribed Lexapro to me, after my appointment, did I tell him. I didn't want to start the meds without telling him, just in case there was some type of crazy side effect or something happened to me because of it.

He was a little shocked, and at first said, well why don't you try picking up running again and see if that helps. But, I decided to go ahead and start it that night. After about 3-4 days I could notice a lot of improvements and relayed how much better I was feeling to my dh and he could notice it too. He has never questioned whether or not I should be on meds since then. And I am running now, training for a half-marathon. Probably wouldn't have had the motivation to do that if it weren't for the meds.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"