Military Families
Options

pregnant army reservists and the range

i am currently 26 weeks pregnant, and my unit will be going to the weapons range in 4 weeks. obviously, firing is out out of the question. this range is also over 4 hours away. my OB said no about going. she would rather i stay put.

i sent in an RST form with the note from my doctor, my section OIC is totally ok with this. (his wife just had a baby)

but my company commander seems to think that i should still be able to go and pull weapons guard (even though my profile says i can't carry any weapons) and/or duty driver - even though my doctor said NO.

what i've seen so far regarding the regs, is that after 20 weeks, pregnant soliders are exempt from field duty, and i'm not supposed to be near any solvents or military fuels.

any thoughts?

Re: pregnant army reservists and the range

• Options
    I'm not sure but I'm brining over some friends. And you're in my area :) I'm in the NW Burbs!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You and the OIC are right on. The reg supports your plan of action. You are not required to be there.

Get it in writing from your OB/GYN and send it in with the RST again be sure to site the REG on the RST form

i.e. I request to RST for ___date___ IAW REG#, para#.... etc.

If they continue to give you shiiit have your OIC take it up the chain if that doesn't fix it. Call the IG.

Congrats on the baby!

ETA: If you need help with the form PM me and we'll knock it out for ya.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Follow AMN's suggestion.  She's right on.  My CO tried to pull this crap with me.  I was the first pregnant female he ever had to deal with.  He thought it would be ok to put me on ammo detail.  Um... no go!  I had to get a note from my midwife, have a medic send a note and have to get a female master sergeant deliver it to him to explain why I didn't need to be out there at 26 weeks in the middle of August in south FL. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The range is a no-go when pregnant.  I had to get a specific note stating that my OB did not want me on the premises of the range at all.  She explained it to me that she was uncomfortable with the amount of lead "released in air" as particles (i.e. breathing it in or touching someone/ something that has ammo residue).  Talk to your Dr and hopefully they can give you a note that your commander can clearly understand.
  • Options

While the PP are correct about lead exposure being a problem. I just wanted to let you know that the Army began the transition to "green" lead free ammo in 2000. They have been using tungston based rounds for the last 10 years.

Also, you are EXEMPT from the range, so you can still go for promotions, awards... etc while pregnant.

Good Luck!

• Options
    I agree with what everyone else has stated. I would make sure it is all in writing, black and white  and let your OIC take it up with him. Why would your commander even risk it just for you to pull guard duty!? Ugh. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"