Pennsylvania Babies

s/o weaning the bottle

How do you get your DC to use a sippy cup? Any tricks.  I just bought a new Dr. Brown's one that's "easy flow" and DS seems to be getting that a little bit but I have literally used 7 different ones (regular sippy and straw ones) and all the wants to do is chew on them. He can sip well from a cup and he's been using a regular straw decently here and there but the straws on the sippy cups are more rubbery so he just chews.

And a side question - at what age did you bottle wean? 

Re: s/o weaning the bottle

• I seriously could have bought stock in every sippy cup company.  At one point I contemplated putting together a "sippy cup trial pack" of used sippys that "didn't work" for us to sell on Craigslist.  DS was horrible with the sippy at first.  I think because I nursed and wasn't good about giving him water from it.  I'd probably start that arount 6 months next time to help with the transition.  I seriously tried EVERY kind of sippy cup out there.  I would stand in the aisle at Target for a half hour trying to decide which ones I wanted to try based on recommendations from friends.  I think that DS just wasn't into it and was lazy about tilting the cup and his head back far enough.  We tried some of the take and toss straw ones, but they end up leaking (another sippy cup problem, once you find some you LOVE, they all start leaking).  I don't know that I would recommend going the route I did, but now he does take all of the different kinds that I have in our stash without any problems. It sounds like you're tried a bunch, so I wouldn't buy anymore.  Just be patient, and he'll eventually figure them out.

See my response to the post below for the answer to your other question.

Good luck!

ETA: I got used to him having feeding time (ie. bottle after nap) where he'd finish a bottle.  The sippy isn't the same.  I would just give it to him while he played and he'd sip on it here and there for an hour before I'd get new milk for it.  You waste a lot in the beginning, but they eventually get it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would just keep trying.  We had to introduce them to DS very early b/c he started refusing bottles.  At first he chewed on them a lot but eventually he did really well.  He still hasn't gotten the hang of straws.  Good luck!
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I switched at 6-7 months he was still nursing and during the day I just put the breast milk in the sippy cups. I was home alone and working full time during the week. Honestly, just getting home from work, picking him up from the babysitter, repacking diaper bags, unpacking and repacking both of our lunches and getting us bathed all while trying to have some quality time with him and nursing and pumping was enough. Forget about me washing bottle nipples. Just wasn?t going to be happening and I was exhausted something had to give and it was the bottles.

I made the switch to Nuby sippy cups at first (the old kind where you didn?t have to bite down and suck simultaneously). Those were great for him and then we introduced the new version of Nuby?s and some others. His favorite and the ones he does best with are the Disney Store ones. I think it is because the sippy part is smaller and easier to get his lips around. They are more pricey than the ones you can get at Target but if you hit the outlet at the right time you can get them on sale.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was thinking about this and wondered if you've tried taking out that plastic piece that keeps it from spilling/leaking.  Maybe if he gets a drink as soon as he puts it to his mouth/chews on it/without working then he'll start connecting the cups with drinks.
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We tried EVERYTHING as well!  I just shipped out a 'trial pack' to a friend of mine too! 

He was a big chewer as well.  He never sucked on the cup.  Until these, the Nuby super spout cups.  Walmart sells them in singles, which was the only reason I decided to give it a try.  It's shaped like a bottle, so I think that helped.  The spout is also bulkier, more like a nipple than the slim spout.  That's my only guess as to why that one worked when the other 15 didn't! 

Good luck!

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"