Pennsylvania Babies

Weaning the Bottle

Hi everyone!!  I hope you are all well.  

Keaton is approaching his first bday is one month (can't believe it!) and I'm getting prepared to weaning the bottle.  Any tips or recommendations that worked for you??  Keaton is great with his sippy cup so I'm hoping it is a smooth transition.  

Thanks! 

Re: Weaning the Bottle

• We were told by our doctor to put the liquid that we want him to drink in the sippy cup and put a watered down version of the liquid in the bottle.

We actually just went straight from bottle to sippy and never looked back.

P.S. Your son is sooooooo cute!!! 

• We had some issues, but mainly because he was used to getting water from a sippy and milk from a bottle. He seemed to think that you ONLY drink milk from a bottle, water from a sippy and juice from a juice box. So when we cut out bottles, we cut out milk too. We had to start giving him water with just a splash of milk and VERY gradually increase the ratio of milk to water. It worked after a few months. But if he's already drinking formula or whatever out of his sippy, it shouldn't be so hard for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Truth be told, we didn't wean completely until around 15 months.  At 10.5 months I stopped nursing, so it was easy to just start doing his daytime formula feedings by cup.  We started with just switching 1 of the regular bottle feedings to a cup, and slowly worked up to the rest one at a time.  The last one to go was the one he got right before bed.  I just didn't know how to take that out of his routine and it took his sooo long to drink any amount of milk from a sippy that he would have been up all night.  I worried that if he didn't get that bottle before bed he'd start waking up earlier, fighting bedtime with a disruption to the routine, etc.  It turns out, he was just fine with just cutting it out.  I eventually started giving him the sippy with milk in it while he watched his 20 minute TV show before his bath (to start a new routine).  He wouldn't drink all of it, but would get some in him.  Eventually he wasn't really interested in it anymore, and so we just stopped it all together. 

I know the docs say no bottle past 1 year, but don't feel like you have to have it completely gone by his 1st birthday.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've started the same process.  They told me to be gone by 15 months, so we're using the next 6 months to break the habit, so to speak.

I'm approaching it slowly in the same way I quit smoking LOL!  We're just disassociating it from routines.  Right now, we are re-working bedtime.  He no longer gets the bottle during story in the rocker until he's almost asleep.  Now, he has his bottle downstairs after bath.  Then we brush his teeth, read a story in the rocker, and then he lays down in his crib and goes to sleep.  

Next will be nap times, then the last routine and the first dropped all-together bottle will be when he first wakes up.  He's less likely to fight milk in the sippy when he's still drowsy.  

So far the plan is going awesome!  :D

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"