Multiples
Options

know what i underestimated?

How neglected the dog would be once the girls came.

I mean, she's still very well taken care of, but she no longer gets constant attention and long walks every day.  She used to be the baby of the house and now I find myself all too often telling her, "No, Sierra!" and "Go lay down, Sierra!" and "Get out of the way, Sierra!"  I feel so bad.  She loves the babies to death and wants to be around them 24/7, but she often gets in the way.  She doesn't get nearly the amount of attention she used to and I can tell it makes her sad.  :(

Did any of you run into this?  Got any tips for me?

Thanks!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: know what i underestimated?

• Options
    right there with you. she definitely gets the brunt of my crankiness, especially when she licks their hands/faces. We try to make sure she gets a walk every day, but that's about it in terms of attention. No more long nights of cuddling on the couch while watching TV...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we knew this would happen- when we were pg with Griffin we decided to get a 2nd dog to keep her more company when we didn't have time to play with her.... everone thought we were nuts to get a 2nd dog while pg - but it's actually easier for us to have 2 dogs. (our 2nd dog we did not get a puppy - he was a year old and already PT'd - i wouldn't have wanted to deal with a puppy while pg).

our dogs are best buddies. they play all the time - it makes us feel better when we don't have a lot of time for them.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel the same way. I feel so sad for my dogs. They don't even get walked everyday. I'm to the point where I just wish we could find them a new home. I know dogs aren't disposable, we chose to bring them into our family and we can't just get rid of them because it isn't convenient. But it is just so unfair to the dogs. No matter how often I say, today is the day we're going to play with them more or take them on a hike, it just doesn't get done. I secretly wish someone would come over one day and say, "i love your dogs can we have them." 
  • Options
    Our dog was our baby until DD was born.  Now we totally yell at him all the time.  He was annoyed for awhile and going to the bathroom in the house, but now DD gives him a treat everytime we leave the house.  DD also goes to bed at 7pm so then the dog snuggles with us on the couch and gets his time.  We try to take him for walks and give him as much attention as we can when DD isnt around.
  • Options

As I'm home by myself most of the time and it's hard for me to take our dog for long walks and do others things for him - he's been living at my Parent's house for the last 3 weeks (we miss him). I've asked my Mom to keep him until the babies are a few months old - I'm hoping she'll give him back then but knew it would be hard to take care of my spoiled furbabies and two babies, but I didn't want to give him away so living at my Parents works out for everyone, as my Mom is home all day to spoil him and keep him company plus DH and I visit on weekends.

• Options
    Aussie was the baby until JR came (hence my SN).  As soon as JR was born, she went to the bottom of the ladder.  She'd get so much more attention if she would get on the furniture and lay on the couch by us, she just gets too hot to lay on the couch though.  I try to give her some quality time when brushing her (which is definitely more often in the summer).
  • Options
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

we knew this would happen- when we were pg with Griffin we decided to get a 2nd dog to keep her more company when we didn't have time to play with her.... everone thought we were nuts to get a 2nd dog while pg - but it's actually easier for us to have 2 dogs. (our 2nd dog we did not get a puppy - he was a year old and already PT'd - i wouldn't have wanted to deal with a puppy while pg).

our dogs are best buddies. they play all the time - it makes us feel better when we don't have a lot of time for them.

ditto about the 2nd dog.  although we had two before we got PG, but i think it would be much worse if they didn't have each other.

either way, we still need to walk them more.  we have 2 boxers, and they have all this pent-up energy so they shredded an entire roll of paper towels yesterday.  ugh.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    jbl126jbl126 member
    Same here, Bailey is definitely more neglected by me.  DH still gets her out for walks.  And now that the weather is nice, after dinner we all go out for a walk.  And with the girls being mobile, I find myself putting Bailey on the other side of the gate away from them, mostly for her own safety.  Lauryn just loves pulling on her.  And she is allergic to the dog, so I try to keep them separated anyway.  Once the girls go to bed, we have play time with Bailey.  It is a tough adjustment.
  • Options
    I could have written this post. The worst part is that when I am anxious, so is the dog, making her even more annoying. She is 70lbs and spend the entire day pressed against my shins  while I am trying to walk. Two big things that helped. Taking her for walks with the boys in their stroller and now that they throw food from their highchairs, she is in heaven.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

Ditto, we got a 2nd dog when we started TTC. It's so nice that they have each other. They used to fight with each other a lot, but now that the babies are here they are totally BFFs. 

• Options

My poor cat went from being the king to a nobody....  he's so pathetic.  He was so shy before, now the minute anyone comes in the house he runs over to them and rubs on their legs trying to get SOME attention.

The one thing that makes me feel better is the girls love him to death already and he's slowly letting them pet him, yesterday Katie even kissed him on the top of his head.  I have a feeling really soon he will have two new best friends who shower him with TOO much attention. Your dog will probably be the same. After a lonely couple years he'll have lots and lots of attention from the kids.

• Options
    This thread makes me so sad for my "baby" dog once the twins arrive.  :(  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"