Military Families
Options

Shaw in SC?

Does anyone have any experience with Shaw AFB in SC?  It looks like we might be going there and I'm interested in some info about housing areas and what is nearbye.  TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Shaw in SC?

• Options

Haha. I live in the town that Shaw is in. It is a pretty small base compared to most. But, with the Army coming soon they are trying to fix it up a bit. New BX and Commissary and some new houses. They're in the process of tearing down a lot of the older houses on the base to make room for all the new stuff. Basically all there really is on the base is a BX, commissary, Burger King, two banks, and two pools. Oh, and a bowling ally and movie theater. LoL.

If you're looking for off base housing there are a lot of new housing developments going up around Shaw. But, then there are a lot of nice older houses too.

Sumter is...well...small. You aren't going to find very good shopping around town. If you want to shop I would say go to Columbia which is about 45 minutes away or down to Myrtle Beach or Charleston. And if you want a good post to shop on I would have to say go over to Fort Jackson in Columbia. There really isn't much to do in Sumter. We have a few good eating places, a movie theater, a bowling ally, and a rinky dink mall that has no good stores in it at all. LoL.

Hope I didn't scare you about coming to Shaw. It really is a pretty nice base...and a quiet little town. But, then again Ive lived here for 23 years...so I'm kinda partial to it. Haha!

If you need more info or help with anything PM me :o)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"