Parenting
Options

The Leapster2

Anyone have one of these?

Love it? Hate it?  I think we want to get one for DD for her birthday and I was hoping someone could tell me their experience with it!

Delaney Grace - 6/29/06

Re: The Leapster2

• Options
    We have one that the older boys use and they love it (especially my 5 year old).  It is great for the car or when my DS has "quiet time" (in lieu of a nap).
    Ryan 5/2010, Kyle 1/2007, Eric 3/2005
  • Options

My 3 and 6 y/o both love theirs.  It keeps them busy in the car and when they need a little quiet time. 

My only complaints are that the games are too pricey and it seems to eat batteries.  :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My DS has it and loves it. It's one video game system I don't mind him playing because it's educational and he learns from it. There are't a ton of games for his age, (just turned 4) but what is out there, he has and he has enough to keep from getting bored.  As he gets older, there are other games he can get to help with math, reading, etc.

It's wonderful for long car rides too and when I don't want him watching TV or playing the Wii.  I did have one problem with it early on, called the company, a lady walked me through on how to calibrate it on the phone and haven't had an issue since.  Good customer service.

• Options
    imageDandelionMom:

My 3 and 6 y/o both love theirs.  It keeps them busy in the car and when they need a little quiet time. 

My only complaints are that the games are too pricey and it seems to eat batteries.  :)

Get the recharger station for it. Worth the money. I have to charge it maybe 1 every 2 weeks. If that. And it only takes about 2 hours to charge.

DD loves hers. It saves me at appointments.

ETA- https://www.target.com/Leapster-LeapFrog-Leapster2-Recharging-Station/dp/B00134PLM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&qid=1275929454&frombrowse=0&fromGsearch=true&node=1038576|1287991011&keywords=leapster%202&searchSize=30&id=Leapster%20LeapFrog%20Leapster2%20Recharging%20Station&searchBinNameList=purchasing_channel%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchRank=target104545&sr=1-1&searchPage=1&rh=

• Options
    We got one for DS1 when he turned 4 also and he loves it (so do I!). Like a pp said, there aren't a lot of games for the 4 yos, but he also enjoys having mom or dad help him with some of the harder stuff. Right now we have 4 games and he hasn't gotten bored with any of them. I like to pick up a new game when I find them on sale and then hide it away for the next birthday/holiday. I've heard some ppl complain about the battery life before, but to be honest I don't have this problem. We use it for the same things the others have said - long car rides, airplane ride, quiet time, etc.
  • Options
    Ds has one and loves it as well.  The games are a bit pricey, but I try to get them on sale.  It's great for long car rides and I'll pull it out as a last resort if we're at a restaurant longer than usual.
  • Options

We have it for DS1 - got it for his 4th birthday.  We use rechargeable batteries (like we use for nearly all our battery stuff).  

The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes it seems like the games don't get a good connection...I'm waiting a few days to see if it does it again - we've only had it about 6 weeks, so if it does, I'll be exchanging it.

We actually had a few fights here over it, so I ended up getting DD1 (2.5) the regular Leapster when it was on sale at TRU for $30 (I had a $10 off reward card coupon to use).  It works just as well - but maybe slightly too big for her hands.

Ben has  actually learned some simple addition thanks to the Thomas the Train game (his fave - we have Dora, Cars, and Nemo also). 

• Options

Thanks ladies!! Sounds like DD will just love it and I can't wait to go pick one up for her now!

I appreciate all the info!!

Delaney Grace - 6/29/06
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"