Florida Babies
Options

breastfeeding and psoriasis

I'm due in August and look trying to decide between breastfeeding and using formula. I have psoriasis all over which may prevent me from breastfeeding. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had to deal with this issue or has any recommendations on formula. Thanks!

Re: breastfeeding and psoriasis

• Options
    Hi! There isn't a whole lot of activity on this board - you might want to try asking on the Breastfeeding board, too, to see if any one there has any experience with your situation. HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have eczema and had issues with it on my breast.  I'm not sure it if's coincidence or nature, but it cleared up in that area around when I gave birth and had no issues for the duration of breast feeding. 

If you don't clear up, have you thought of exclusively pumping?

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Options
    I will definitely consider it. Thanks!
  • Options
    I can't imagine that psoriasis would get in the way of BFing.  KellyMom.com is a really good BFing resource that might be able to help you out.  Personally, I wouldn't switch to formula for that reason. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the website I will definitely check it out. My OB suggests pumping 100%. Still not sure what I'm going to do.
  • Options
    BTW - I see you have your address listed in your info. You might want to take that out!
  • Options

Hi, I have psoriasis and exclusively breastfeed and have for 9 months. I would definatley try to breastfeed if you can. The flare ups will only happen the first 2 weeks if they do at all because your toughening the nipples, After that I have had no issues what so ever. I'm not going to sugar coat it breast feeding hurts anyway the first 2 weeks (at one point my nipples bled and scabbed) if you can get past that period it's the best thing ever. Hope this helps, feel free to ask me anymore psoriasis questions you have, I know there's not a ton of us on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"