Postpartum Depression

A-HA! Momment Going Back on BCP

I thought I would share this in case anyone else is dealing with the same thing.

I will start by saying that I have suffered from depression basically my whole life and have been medicated since about age 19. I also started birth control pills around age 19. I never put two and two toegther until after having our first baby and they going back on BCP.

It was like I hit a brick wall and I was feeling craptastic all over again within about 3-4 days of starting them. I gave it another week and then thought to myself "I am not going to feel this way everyday just so DH doesn't have to wear a condom" He wanted me to stick it out for the month and then see how I feel. I stopped that day and now we just use charting for our birth control method. In about 4-5 days after stopping the BCP I was feeling in a more positive mood and able to deal with some of the stresses better of having a special needs baby. 

My gut is telling me that the BCP were making my depression even worse. Before I started to try and get pregnant I was taking 450 mg of Wellbutrin a day, I cut down to 300 during the pregnancy and now I am at 150 per day. This is a huge difference.

I thought I would share this with others just in case they started BCP's again and had a mood shift near that time....Good Luck everyone!

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

Re: A-HA! Momment Going Back on BCP

• good for you for figuring that out!  i've heard that bcps/hormones can make the PPD go haywire...i'm kinda nervous about that.  i want to get an IUD after this baby comes and the Mirena seems like such a good way to go, but i'm afraid that once it's in it will have effects like yours did and then i'll have to go through the fiasco of taking it out.  i could just do copper but i really want the lighter periods.  men have it so gd easy.
  • Hey Lady! Clearly i was lurking you but i 100% agree with the BCP thing.  I stopped mine bc of my migraines were SOOOO bad.  Funny once i stopped them to TTC i didnt get a migraine... didnt get one through out the entire pregnancy or the 6 weeks before i got my script.  no sooner do i go back on and BANG migraine! so i took it for about 1 month and Mike told me to stop! like you said BCP since i was 14... funny... migraines since 14!!!! so i dont know what to do.  Mike is wearing a condom and i pray we dont have any more LOs right now.  i cant take constatnly havign a migraine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • OMG! I have a stalker!

Seriously, it is not that hard to do the charting & body temp thing. As soon as you figure out when you ovulate you let DH know when the deed can be done. It's not like we're getting any very much anyway.....Embarrassed

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"