Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Extreme Anxiety over worrying about SIDS

I have a history of anxiety anyways but I seriously cannot stop thinking or worrying about SIDS, I do okay during the day and then the evening hits and its a constant worry.....I am so attached and never felt a love like this before with my LO and I just cant imagine......I feel like I am losing out on when he is this little because I am so worried and anxious over this...( I have started lexapro again and it should be kicking in soon, I hope this helps) does anyone have such strong worries about this and how to you not think about it and just enjoy your little one?
Photobucket Our IVF miracle, after 5 years, 5 IUIS & 2 IVFs

Re: Extreme Anxiety over worrying about SIDS

• Options
    Have you thought about getting an angel care monitor???  My DS will only sleep on his tummy (It scares me to death) so we bought an angel care monitor and a video monitor.  That has helped my nerves tremendously!  Maybe you should also look into taking an infant CPR class.  It might help ease some anxiety! 
  • Options
    I worried every single night for at least the first month, and like you the fear started as bedtime approached. I just practice all items that are listed as reducing risk of SIDs- this alone to me has been therapeutic. Over time the worry has subsided, but there is always that underlying fear that something tragic could take my beautiful baby away from us and part of me has come to accept that part of being a parent is having that worry with you at all times.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am going through the same thing.  I am worried sick about him at night.  I am driving my husband crazy too.  It has gotten a little better each day (I've stopped running over to him during the day time to check and make sure he's still breathing) but like you said, night time gets me so anxious.  I barely get any sleep because for a good half hour after I put him down I am listening to his every breath.  I tried going without buying the angelcare monitor but I think it's going to help me relax a little so I plan to go pick one up this weekend.  Other than that I think it's just going to take time to accept that I'll always be worried about him even when he gets older, there will always be something to worry about.  It kills me to think about anything bad happening but I just have to tell myself that those things are RARE and as long as I am taking all the steps that are recommended to prevent SIDS, I know I am doing the best I can.  I am hoping it gets easier...GL and know that you aren't the only one!
  • Options
    Thank you guys, it helps knowing Im not the only one. I think I will buying the angelcare monitor this weekend as well. 
    Photobucket Our IVF miracle, after 5 years, 5 IUIS & 2 IVFs
  • Options
    I do the same thing. It helps that she sleeps in a co sleeper, but I am constantly checking to make sure she is breathing. I have gotten much better, but still worried about her suffocating from a blanket or something. I also bring her into bed to feed her lying down and worry that I will fall asleep and she will suffocate from the covers. I know I would never roll on her, but the bed worries me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD will be one in two weeks and I STILL worry about SIDS!  LOL, I don't think worry ever goes away as a mom.  I highly recommend getting a good video monitor because then you can always check on them when you feel anxious - and you can see breathing on the monitor.  Be careful with the Angel Care Monitor - some people love them but some say they go off frequently and may give you an unnecessary scare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I know exactly how you feel. A cousin's daughter died at 10 weeks of SIDS a few years ago and I am SO afraid it will happen with my LO. I am finally calming down about it only as a result of buying an Angelcare Deluxe monitor in addition to the video monitor we already have. It might seem like overkill but it makes me feel that LO is so much safer. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"