2nd Trimester
Options

I'm going on a pregnancy "diet".

2»

Re: I'm going on a pregnancy "diet".

• Options

I was just at the OB yesterday.  And according to him, someone "my size" should lose weight during pregnancy, not gain anything.  Whoops, I guess that 24 pounds I gained did not make him very happy.  I am on track with my last pregnancy and my midwife didn't seem to think it was a problem.  Time to switch back to her and get away from the male OB.  I think as long as you are eating mostly well and taking care of yourself, you're the only one that has to lose the weight. 

• Options
    I'm so glad that I'm not the only one this has happened to.  I gained 9 lbs in one month between 12-16 weeks for a total of 13 lbs.  I about fell over when my dr. told me.  She was like I'm not going to say anything but that's not good.  She asked what I had done different and I said that I excercised and ate when I was hungry...what a crime.  It made me feel soooo bad.  I usually maintain a steady weight so it was totally a shock.  Today I am 19 weeks though and have not gained any weight since my 16 week appointment...so I totally agree that the weight gain is totally random just depending on what your body wants to do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have any of you thought that you may not be eating enough, which may spark the weight gain?  Just a thought.. it may sound incredibly silly, but if some of you are feeling hungry all the time, maybe you should cure that hunger with a snack instead of "dieting".  Plus, what is your water intake like?  As far as what I've read and been told, throughout our pregnancy, especially a summer pregnancy, we should be drinking a lot more than the recommended 64 ounces a day.  You may be eating healthy and eating enough, but water is just as important.  Even without being pregnant, you could still do all the exercising and eating right in the world and still gain.  During pregnancy isn't the greatest time to be dieting, especially if your baby isn't getting ALL of the nutrients they need, including the once-in-a-while, occasional higher calorie or higher fat meal/snack.  It's all about moderation. 

I'm just throwing my two cents in here and don't want anyone to take it the wrong way, it's just something to think about.  If you're being told by your doctor that you need to watch your weight (which all doctors have their own opinions about the "average" weight gain), and if you feel you are doing all that you can, then just keep doing what you're doing and don't stress about it.

If you're really concerned about it, maybe see a nutritionist that specializes with pregnancy.  I don't know if they have those, since I've never researched that, but it couldn't hurt to look.

We are all here trying to do the best we can with what we've got and make the babies we're growing into healthy children, but we can only do so much and mother nature takes care of the rest.  It's not like if you gain 50 lbs during pregnancy that your baby will be more or less healthy than any other baby.  Get the essential nutrients (in the essential amount) and enough water - can't it just be that simple? =P

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

With my first, I gained 10 lbs in the first trimester. I freaked out and the nurse at the midwives office told me, "some women gain more in the beginning and then it eventually slows down". I totally didn't believe her because NO book that I read said that. They all said that you weren't supposed to gain much weight in the first trimester, etc...well, by the time I got to the third trimester, I was gaining weight very slowly, and in the last few weeks, I couldn't even gain weight! The baby was growing, but my weight wasn't going up. So, it turns out that the nurse was right.

I am now in my second pregnancy and seeing some of the same happen (i.e. gaining some weight in the beginning) and I am still trying to remember what she said and keep that in mind.

Just eat healthily, enjoy yourself, exercise when you can and do what feels good.

We all have body issues to varying degrees (I have mine, as well); but as women, we need to remember that this is what our bodies are MADE to do, and we should revel at the miraculousness that we are growing new lives inside of us.

• Options

Ugh, I'm 21 weeks and up almost 25lbs, that was supposed to the weight I gained for the whole pregnancy and I am only half way. I eat healthy, but I guess I could exercise more. I have a spinal problem, so I guess I need to get in a pool and walk it off. This baby is just hungry all the time and I feel starved!!!

Oh well.

• Options

ShuTree,

I'm sorry this new lady at  your office is so awful.  What you're eating and the nutrients you're getting to your baby are more important than how much you gain.  I wouldn't "diet - diet."  Doctors used to tell women to diet toward the end of pregnancy which is awful, because some crucial development happens in the last month.  Just do your best to eat well.  I'm using the Bradley Method for childbirth.  We actually have a specific eating plan to stick to while pregnant.  They tell you not to focus on the weight you gain, but getting the right nutrients.  If you want to check it out go here: https://www.bradleybirth.com/PD.aspx.

Hope this helps.  

Shorter Mama

• Options

I've worried about my weight gain my entire pregnancy. I started out a little overweight (5'3" 145lbs) and now, at 36 weeks, I tip the scales at slightly over 200lbs. I've asked my OB and she says I'm perfectly healthy and within "normal" limits, she said that the weight I've put on is "ALL baby," which I can believe since they're saying I should expect 8.5-10lbs when I deliver (which will hopefully be sooner rather than later!). 

My point is this, love the skin you're in. As long as you're eating a healthy diet and exercising in moderation, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Your body knows what it's supposed to do right now, let it.

• Options

Hey im on My third child ..Im 21 y/o and 14 weeks pregnant ...  I dont really understand all that weight thing and all because i eat good and i have lost over 10 pounds Surprise.My doctor said that i should b gaining and not loosing...I dont understand y im loosing if i eat good and i dont vomit at all..I guess it all depends on everybodys body ..I think Ur Ok If u just keep it up with what ur doing ...ANYBODY ELSE LOOSING WEIGHT INSTED OF GAINING ???

• Options

imagebahamama10:
    Im about 27 weeks and i've gained 17 pounds and like you mentioned, failed my one hour glucose test. Is that really a big deal? My doctor completely freaked me out about it and i have to go for a 3 hour test later this week..Im afraid to eat ANYTHING with sugar. I don't get it. I don't drink soda, I don't eat fast food, I exercise like crazy...Im not sure what else I could've done to prevent this?

Sometimes this is just genetic.  One of my good friends who is a health NUT almost skipped her 1-hr all together.  She kept saying, "I'm healthier than most people and diabetes runs in my family, so I know how to prevent it."  Yeah, she failed it.  (I hate the word "failed" because she didn't do anything wrong.  It's just how her body processes sugar.)  

But as far as the weight thing, I barely gained during the 1st tri.  I don't have a functional scale in my house and I'm really afraid of what's about to happen on the 21st.  I also feel like I'm constantly hungry.  I've been trying to channel that appropriately, but we'll see! 

• Options
    I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one gaining more than the "set" amount. I really have tried!!! I have 6 weeks left and I'm packing on water weight like nobody's business. I put 6 lbs on in a week.  Please ladies do not get too excited about the weight. My mom's friend super stressed the weight and went on a really strict diet post baby and went into cardiac arrest. Her body could not handle the sudden changes.  She now lives in a nursing home with a feeding tube. She missed out on all the fun stuff with her little one just for the sake of her figure. It totally was not worth it!
  • Options
    I saw this post and I was relieved as well! I was already a little overweight and I kept reading in the books that I'm only suppose to gain 15-20 pounds. Last month at the OB I gained 16 pounds and that was at 21 weeks!! I asked her about it and she said some people gain a lot of weight right away and that I shouldn't be worried, which is a relief, but I am scared to get weighed tomorrow and to top it all off I just got back from vacation 2 days ago! :-(
  • Options

I'm 5 weeks and craving some chinese!! I guess I better skip out and just do a salad.  :(

• Options
    if it makes you feel any better, with my DS i didn't gain a pound until 27 weeks and gained 22 pounds in 10 weeks! this time around, i've already gained 10lbs.. i'm so upset! i'm overweight to begin with.. my doctor didn't want me even really gaining anything. 15 the most
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"