3rd Trimester
Options

Low-lying placenta at 34wks, anyone w/similar issue?

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a low-lying placenta late in their 3rd trimester.  What normally happens if it doesn't move up?  C-section?  Any second time moms who went through this or others going through it now? 

I'm 34 full weeks, entering my 35th week.  My placenta is currently about 3 centimeters from my cervix.  Getting a bit nervous about it...

Thanks in advance for any advice or replies... ;)

Re: Low-lying placenta at 34wks, anyone w/similar issue?

• Options
    mine stayed really close to my cervix as well and they kept a close eye on it and it completely moved away when DD had a big growth spirt a few weeks ago but i still have to have a csection anyway.
  • Options
    I did, they found I had a partial previa (low-lying placenta) at my 20 week scan and it finally moved enough to have a vaginal birth.. The last time I had an ultrasound done  was around 35 weeks and it measured 2.1 cen away from my cervix which they told me was enough. The minimum was 2. HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ***Raises hand***.  At my last US a few weeks ago mine was still low-lying, but at that point it wasn't previa and is borderline if it will be impacted during dilation.  They are doing one last US on Friday to see where it's at.  Hopefully it will have moved up, but if not with where mine was before my OB is recommending trial of labor.  I'll have to be monitored carefully and am at increased risk for an emergency c-section if there's bleeding, and she also will not let me go past my due date at all and may recommend induction around 39 weeks (larger baby increases the risk, DD was large and this one is measuring ahead).  If it's any closer then it was before, it will be a planned c-section, and the hope obviously is that it has moved farther away and won't be an issue at all.

• Options
    I would definitely get a 2nd opinion if they want to rush to a C-section right away. There are so many successful vaginal births with low-lying placenta. If there is bleeding after the placenta is delivered, they can administer pitocin to encourage contractions which will stop the bleeding on its own. Mine is low-lying and this is part of my birth plan, which my midwives are committed to while keeping my safety in mind. Obviously the doctor should know the overall risks before a decision is made, but make sure you discuss all options first before you jump to the overkill of major abdominal surgery.
    BabyFruit TickerimageimageimagePhotobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"