Infertility
Options

IUI timing question

Hi ladies,

I posted an intro this morning and then had to leave for the RE for what I thought wuold be a quick ultrasound to check on follicles.  I ended up having the IUI today and I'm a little concerned with the timing, and was hoping some of you may be able to help me out.  Sorry in advance -- this may be long.

On Saturday, I had 2 large follicles (one at 18 and one at 17), so they made another ultrasound appointment for today unless I got a +OPK (I didn't).  Today the ultrasound only showed one follicle at 19.5.  The RE decided to do the trigger and IUI today thinking that I am in the process of ovulating right now since one of the follicles is gone.

So, I did the trigger around 1045am and DH gave his sample.  We went to lunch and I took an OPK at 1215 and it came back positive.  I told the nurse this when we went back for the IUI and she said that it probably wasn't the trigger shot as it would likely take more time than that to absorb. 

So, a couple of questions: can a large follicle "reasbsorb" or do you think it is more likely that I did ovulate without getting a +OPK beforehand (I've been using them since we began TTC and have always gotten a positive that matches my chart), and what do you think of the timing?  I know that typically the trigger is given at night and then the IUI done 2 mornings after. 

I guess I'm just confused and hoping we've timed this okay.  I'm new to the IUI process so forgive me if this doesn't make sense.  TIA :)

Our IVF miracles arrived on 7/20/11 at 37 weeks after 3 weeks of hospital bedrest! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers "Stubbornly persist, and you will find that the limits of your stubbornness go well beyond the stubbornness of your limits." ~Robert Brault

Re: IUI timing question

• Options
    I am not quite sure what could have happened but you could have ovulated & your RE wanted to make sure IUI was done before it was too late. IUIs are usually done 36hrs after trigger but in this case, you could have ovulated the lead follicle already & was triggering you to possibly release the other. 
  • Options
    ej708ej708 member
    Thanks for your response.  I thought I had done my research and felt prepared.  I wasn't expecting this little curveball. . .
    Our IVF miracles arrived on 7/20/11 at 37 weeks after 3 weeks of hospital bedrest! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers "Stubbornly persist, and you will find that the limits of your stubbornness go well beyond the stubbornness of your limits." ~Robert Brault
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ACM1616ACM1616 member
    I happen to have surged on my own for all three of my IUI's, so the trigger shot was probably unnessesary in MHO.  However, it can't hurt, right?  I would imagine that the other follie already released the egg, and that the other will soon too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If the OPK was positive shortly after you triggered, you probably ovulated on your own. In my experience, it has always taken me around twelve hours after trigger to get a positive OPK.
    IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    ej708ej708 member

imageSPerry0376:
    If the OPK was positive shortly after you triggered, you probably ovulated on your own. In my experience, it has always taken me around twelve hours after trigger to get a positive OPK.

Thank you for this.  I've been trying to google this, but all I get are posts about how long the trigger shot stays in your system. 

• Options

I think it sounds like you're good--That you were already ovulating, and your IUI sounds like it was timed great!

I am/was concerned about the timing of my IUI's too (my RE does back-to-back).  This is my first IUI cycle, but my first appointment is for CD 14 (unless I get a positive OPK on my own beforehand).  He said at that appointment as long as everything looked ok, they'd give me the trigger then and have DH go back to give his sample at the same time.  (So I'd have the IUI an hour or two after the trigger.)  My 2nd IUI would be 24 hours later.

Good luck!

Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ej708ej708 member
    imageUMichGirl:

I think it sounds like you're good--That you were already ovulating, and your IUI sounds like it was timed great!

I am/was concerned about the timing of my IUI's too (my RE does back-to-back).  This is my first IUI cycle, but my first appointment is for CD 14 (unless I get a positive OPK on my own beforehand).  He said at that appointment as long as everything looked ok, they'd give me the trigger then and have DH go back to give his sample at the same time.  (So I'd have the IUI an hour or two after the trigger.)  My 2nd IUI would be 24 hours later.

Good luck!

Thanks.  It's good to have some reassurance.  I asked about doing another IUI tomorrow and they just recommended TI tonight or in the morning.  That bugged me a little at first since our whole issue is that DH's sperm don't swim well.  However, motility today was 60% prewash and 50% postwash, so I felt a little better after that.  Those are both WAY higher numbers than with his previous 2 SAs. 

Good luck to you on this cycle as well! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"