Infertility
Options

Risks of IVF?

Hi, ladies.

So I'm spending my day off researching IVF...fun, huh?  My RE suggested IVF as our next step.  As bad as I want a baby, I sort of think we're jumping the gun (I have one ovary left after having ovarian cancer and we've just been trying a year and have had one IUI - I'm 33).  I have a consult with our IVF center where my RE works...its separate from the (catholic) hospital in which he generally operates.  I'm researching and writing down all the questions I can think of - but one thing I'm not finding a lot of info on is risks with IVF...risks for the baby.  All I'm finding is the obvious multiple births and low weight/early birth...but are there any more risks with birth defects/downs/etc with IVF?

It just feels like our RE is really pushing IVF so quickly....I assume its due to my age and low reserve having only one ovary...but....ugh.

TIA

TTC since May 2009 - DOR (ovarian cancer) DE w RBA December 2011 - transferred one embryo 12/14 - three frosties Beta #1 - 129 (12/22) Beta #2 - ? (12/26)

Re: Risks of IVF?

• Options

imageaebaby:
    .  All I'm finding is the obvious multiple births and low weight/early birth...but are there any more risks with birth defects/downs/etc with IVF?

There is a higher risk of multiple birth from IUI than there is with IVF.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    imageGenRN45:

imageaebaby:
    .  All I'm finding is the obvious multiple births and low weight/early birth...but are there any more risks with birth defects/downs/etc with IVF?

There is a higher risk of multiple birth from IUI than there is with IVF.

Yep -I agree with Gen on this one.  You will see more multiples from IUI than you will from IVF.

I also don't think there is a higher risk of genetic defects with IVF - so I am not sure where you are getting that data from.  I have never heard that one before.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The informed consent paperwork that my RE provided us with indicates that while their may be a slight increased risk in IVF babies for various factors (including genetic factors), the increased risk is not statistically significant.  For example, the risk of a major birth defect in non-IVF pregnancies is 2-3%.  In IVF pregnancies, that risk only increases to 2.6-3.9%. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagegymnst1013:
      For example, the risk of a major birth defect in non-IVF pregnancies is 2-3%.  In IVF pregnancies, that risk only increases to 2.6-3.9%. 

and based on what my MFM says, the minutely increased risk is only because of the manipulation of the egg/sperm/embryo.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

There isn't really any significant risk to the babies. As pps said, you have a greater chance of HOM with IUI than IVF.

GL :) 

Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    imageGenRN45:

imagegymnst1013:
      For example, the risk of a major birth defect in non-IVF pregnancies is 2-3%.  In IVF pregnancies, that risk only increases to 2.6-3.9%. 

and based on what my MFM says, the minutely increased risk is only because of the manipulation of the egg/sperm/embryo.

yep, yep.  Mine said that and also it could be related to IF itself  - poor egg or sperm quality to begin with.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This is good news ladies....thanks for all of your replies.  Just trying to gather as much info as I can before heading to the clinic.  I was thinking there might be more of an effect on the embryos (defects, etc.) due to them being handled outside of a natural environment...although its probably as natural for the embryos they can make for them.
    TTC since May 2009 - DOR (ovarian cancer) DE w RBA December 2011 - transferred one embryo 12/14 - three frosties Beta #1 - 129 (12/22) Beta #2 - ? (12/26)
  • Options

I'd agree with everything said already but want to add:

take you time, doing your research and it will feel right when you are ready.

I think the REs are so used to all of this (and it's not their life) that they do talk fast and seem to "rush" us. I had that exp. with an upcoming procedure. He was done explaining and I was totally confused.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"