Cincinnati Babies
Options

Am I the only mom of an almost 3 year old not in a big kid bed?

Justin is still in his crib for various reasons.  We are planning to buy him a big boy bed by the end of the summer when he has his 3rd birthday.  I feel like the only mom that has her 33-month old in a crib!  He's not potty trained either, guess I better get my act together.
Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
imageimage
imageimage
The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler

Re: Am I the only mom of an almost 3 year old not in a big kid bed?

• Options
    nire99nire99 member
    If it makes you feel any better, my cousin's son is almost four and still in his crib and not potty trained.  This kid is bigger than Avery too. Do whatever works for your family and to heck with what everyone else is doing.
  • Options

The triplets are almost exactly the same age as Justin (I think, late August '07 birthday) and are not in a toddler bed or potty-trained yet.  One of them is starting to potty-train but the others have no interest at all.  I haven't heard much talk about toddler beds so I'm not sure what her plan is for them in that aspect. 

You know your child best and know when he will be ready for those changes.  Don't let anyone else pressure you into it!

imageimage
    Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I really would not worry about it!  Isabelle did not potty train until the day after she turned 3 and there was a lot of talking it up before that.  She's been in a toddler bed since she was 2 but she's terrified of her twin size bed so who knows when she'll get out of the toddler bed and really she ends up most nights with dh & me in our bed so if Justin stays in the crib I say leave him there!

Michelle 

• Options

Ethan was still in a crib and now in a pack and play since his crib was recalled.  I think we are going to buy him a new big boy bed instead of another crib.  We were planning on converting it and switching to a full bed, but I think we are going to buy him a twin with a trundle.  We're not for sure decided on this though.  If his crib wasn't recalled, I would keep him in the crib for awhile because he is comfortable and we had no issues.  I would rather keep him safe and him get a good night sleep instead of being up wandering and playing with toys, which is what I am afraid will happen.  I thought switching to a big boy bed would be too much change + a new house (plus we got rid of the binkies since we moved) so we haven't bought a new bed yet, I wanted him to get used to the new house first. 

He is doing really well with his potty training though, completely potty trained at home and when he has diapers on for naps and bedtime they are much more dry than before.  He will go sometimes while we are out but that is what we have to work on.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No worries. I don't plan to transition Leah to a toddler bed until she's 3 unless she starts climbing out of her crib. She's content enough in her crib for us to not even need to think about it. I don't think 3 is too old to transition at all.
  • Options
    as long as I can keep jacob in a crib...I AM!!!!
  • Options
    kel716kel716 member

imageBrougham7-15-06:
    as long as I can keep jacob in a crib...I AM!!!!

Ditto this exactly!!!

• Options
    I won't consider moving DD out of the crib until I have to.  It's nice knowing she cant get in and out of bed all night.  I am hoping she will still be in the crib at 3.  I would just do what works for you and not worry about age.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't know the "typical" or "right" time to move a child to a big bed. A lot of what I have read says when they start crawling out of their cribs but I don't know if that's the right indicator or not. 

As far as potty training, when I was assessing young children (ages 3+) potty training was considered delayed if it was not *completed* by the 4th birthday. Lots of kids in the 3 to 4 year-old range with whom I worked still had nighttime wettings.   

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    JLPT830JLPT830 member
    Caleb's a little younger than Justin, but he loves his crib and we really haven't even talked about switching him.  As far as potty training, Caleb won't even sit on his potty.  The closest we've gotten is that he likes to read "My Big Boy Potty."  I have a feeling we'll be well into age 3 before that happens.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Do what's best for him and for your family.
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We are in the same boat as you.  No worries!  Not potty-trained, not in a toddler bed.  Oh well.  We'll get to it eventually!

Kristen & Mike 7/2005
    Griffin 10/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nope, you're not alone but we'll be switching soon. Nora said to me the other night, Mom, I'm too big for this bed. She still doesn't put up a fight about it though and I enjoy not wrangling a wandering toddler. :-)
  • Options
    No worries. I would have kept Maggie in the crib much longer if we didn't need it for Owen. She let us know she wanted to sleep in her big girl bed on her own accord a few weeks ago, so we went with it. I'll keep him in the crib as long as he's happy.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Options

imageteacherjess:
    No worries. I don't plan to transition Leah to a toddler bed until she's 3 unless she starts climbing out of her crib. She's content enough in her crib for us to not even need to think about it. I don't think 3 is too old to transition at all.

This is where we're at too.  As much of a monkey as he is, he does not have the desire to climb out of his crib, so since it ain't broke, we're not fixing it!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

We didn't switch the girls to big kid beds until they were a little over 2.5.  Honestly, I would have waited longer, but they were outgrowing their PNPs and we needed them to be able to sleep in beds when we traveled.  The transition ended up being super easy for us and I think at least part of it was that we waited. 

As for potty training, don't stress too much.  Charlotte wasn't totally potty-trained until she was just shy of three.  I tried to potty train her earlier, when Evelyn was ready, and that was a disaster.  I'm a big advocate of waiting in your kid is ready.  Despite everything you see on the Bump, three is actually the average age for potty training. 

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"