High-Risk Pregnancy

Hello - & Anyone Else Obese?

Hey, I'm new to all of this. I'm a flood of emotions - so excited but also really nervous. My DH and I got a BFP yesterday!

My entire life I've been overweight. Then I went to college and grad school and packed on 120 lbs. 

I've always felt like my weight makes me different and maybe even a bit lesser of a person. All I've ever wanted is to be a mom but now, my excitement is overshadowed with a big sense of guilt or irresponsibility. I'm trying to be reasonable with the risk - obese women can have healthy babies and pregnancies.

Anyway, I'm looking for support and for any resources that are geared especially for pg obese women... any advice or resources are welcome.

Thanks!

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

Re: Hello - & Anyone Else Obese?

• Congrats on your BFP!

Welcome :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MrsAJLMrsAJL member

Welcome and congratulations on your BFP! 

First, let me say that overweight and obese women can and do have healthy pregnancies.  Let go of the guilt.   One can't change the past but you can definitely look towards the future and do the best you can for yourself and your baby.

Here is a website that I've seen that has quite a few resources and lots of information about being a "plus size" mom:  https://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/firstindex.html

Good luck and a health and happy 9 months to you!

• Loading the player...
  • JillAlyJillAly member

I put on 70 pounds in my 1st pregnancy and never took it off because I had 2 more surgeries after having my son so I started off very overweight for this pregnancy. 

Despite being heavier on this pregnancy, things have been so much easier for me this time.  It goes against what anyone will tell you about overweight women, but I've been so much healthier and I feel better than my 1st pregnancy when I wasn't heavy. 

I don't have gestational diabetes (which people assume heavy women will get). My doctor was concerned about my blood pressure since I'm overweight and because I had pre-eclampsia last time but so far it's been good.  Hypertension is something that is common in pregnancy- and may be more common in heavy women- but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have it. 

The only effect being heavy has had so far is that my doctor wanted to keep an eye on my weight gain during pregnancy.  He told me he'd be happy if I only put on 15 pounds in total.  I'm up 15 pounds at 30 weeks so I'll probably put on a few more - but it's a lot better than 70! 

Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• AbJamsAbJams member
    Pre-pregnancy I was 70 lbs overweight, which I'm pretty sure puts me in the obese category. I had an extremely uneventful pregnancy, with the exception of GD, which as pp said, has nothing to do with weight. I had a very smooth labor and delivery, and my daughter was born completely healthy. And 1 week postpartum I weight nearly 20 lbs less than I did when I got pregnant. You're going to be FINE :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • I think I remember you from the Houston board a longggg time ago.  Yes?!?!

Congrats on your BFP!

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • congrats to your bfp!

I'm Carrie (from Houston) and new to all of this as well and have the same concerns you have for when we get our bfp (I'm considered obese and my dr. wants me to lose weight while we ttc and already predicts I'll be high risk when we succeed - diagnosed with pcos & put on metformin)  But I do know plenty of women who were overweight/obese that have had completely uneventful pregnancies w/beautiful babies :)   So have faith, and as my dr. told me if we got pregnant before I lost some weight to just start eating a healthy, balanced diet and be more active (walking/water aerobics).  You'll be fine and fantastic!!

If you ever need support, I'm a great cheerleader :)

• Hello and congratulations!!!

I am obese and I can recommend the plus sized mom website that someone else already posted.  I will try to think of anything else that has helped. Unfortunately most of the resources are geared to enhance those feelings of guilt and irresponsibility that you mentioned.  I know I have to fight against those same feelings and just try to let them go.  Easier said than done, of course.

This board is a great place for support, so welcome.  On the whole it is a very friendly and flame free place and I have found tons of support and advice here.  See you around.

• I'm also considered obese and had a lot of guilt when I got that BFP that I hadn't done anything to lose weight prior to it.  I had to get over it!  No going back, right?

I did talk to my OB about  my risks prior to even "pulling the goalie" and she told me: higher risk of miscarriage, higher risk of high blood pressure, higher risk of pre-e, and if your body already has insulin resistance (i.e. you were already on your way to type II) then a higher risk of GD.

For the first 4 months I had a totally uneventful pregnancy.  I lost weight and suffered from medium-mild morning sickness.  Around that point the morning sickness went away but I had severe food aversions, and was having random reactions to food (like a pear made me really ill).  So I tested early for GD (it runs in my family).

Now I have GD, but other than that my pregnancy is going really well.  I am only now (at 32 weeks) up 2 pounds.  My doctors are thrilled with that.

I would actually suggest looking into the GD diet, for health not for restrictions.  It guides you to eat regularly throughout the day (will help a TON if you get morning sickness) and balance your protein with your carbs.

So congratulations on your BFP!  Enjoy the joy and excitement of the beginning, and if you feel guilty- do something good for yourself & baby- be it eating a little healthier or going for a walk or whatever!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was also overweight before I even got pregnant... I have been all my life!  But it doesn't mean that you are going to have all of these problems.  I was diagnosed with diabetes 6 months before I got pregnant, so naturally I have GD.  My BP has been perfect so far.. although my ankles did turn into kankles last night!  But there is plenty of support here.. you should be feeling nothing but Happiness!!!!

• Thanks so much, y'all! So supportive. Wishing you the best, and looking forward to getting to know y'all - some of you again! Yes, I was on the Houston board (both the nest and the knot - been married for about 4 years!). Nice to see ya!

Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120

All Welcome

Chart

• Hello and welcome!  Congrats on your BFP!!!!  I was in your situation, I was about 60 pounds overweight when I got pregnant and had the same feelings.  My doctor has been wonderful and very supportive through our journey.  I have had a pretty uneventful pregnancy thus far (hoping to finish out the same way!).  I had high blood pressure prior to getting pregnant so that was already an issue and put me in the high risk category.  My BP has been really good and my weight gain has been right on target, I'm up about 7 pounds which my doctor is very happy with.  My doctor was actually concerned about 8 weeks ago since I was only up 2 pounds and she wanted to make sure I was eating and drinking enough.  You can definitely have a healthy pregnancy and perfectly normal baby.  Just keep a positive attitude and listen to your doctor :)

My recommendations for you are to find a doctor that is encouraging and supportive, it's very important.  Try to eat as well as you can and walk or exercise as long as your doctor is find with it.  Make sure your family and friends are a great support system.  Don't stress, relax and take care of yourself.  And I wish you lots of luck and happy and healthy 9 months!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, and I just found this: https://wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/

Neat blog in case anyone's interested! I clicked around and hit the fears tag, and several of her posts were hitting right on my biggest fear of the day - will I look pregnant or just fatter? Glad to know I'm not the only woman who has ever thought about that!

All Welcome

Chart

• I guess I'd be considered obese for all 3 of my pregnancies.

I do have high bp, but it's being controlled.  I've had other mild complications, but they weren't due to my weight.  My docs are always worried I'll get GD - also because I have PCOS, but I never have so far.  They also were concerned about my heart because of my thyroid - but it hasn't been a problem.  So I guess all in all my docs look for all the things that could go wrong in a preg. being obese and haven't really found anything.

I previously delivered 2 very healthy little girls who are doing great!  I had fantastic deliveries as weel.  My girls are not obese or even overweight in spite of my weight and will be 7 & 10 this month.  We all eat healthy - even if it doesn't look like I do.

I checked out the websites listed above, they look fantastic!

Good luck and keep posting if you have questions!

imageimage
  • I, too, am obese and pregnant.  I'm 30wks and I have yet to have any BP issues or GD.  I'm actually at a weight gain of -10 pounds right now (yes, the negative belongs there.)  My OB says I'm fine so long as the baby is getting the nutrition he needs and, by all accounts, he is.

I've felt pretty good throughout the pregnancy.  No big complaints. :)

I know it's hard not to feel guilty, but try not to.  The stress of that is bad for the baby, probably worse than the obesity.  And, your right, obese women have healthy babies everyday.

Married August 23, 2008!

My little angel RIP August 12, 2010 - September 5, 2010

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"