Houston Babies

C-sec Moms: what are your plans for more children?

It's said that the uterus gets less strong with each c-section, so it's harder to carry a child to term, and there's more of a risk of uterine rupture.

Those of you who have had more than one c-section, have your plans changed because of the risk, and you decided to not give birth to any more kids?  Or do you still plan on following your initial plans?  Do you know anyone that has had 3 or more c-sections?

This is assuming that you don't/won't have a VBAC.

I don't want any more kids, but even if I did, I think I would have to forget it.  I had a different uterine surgery prior to my 2 c-sections, and that was in the span of 7 years.  I really don't think my uterus could handle another pregnancy or surgery.

Re: C-sec Moms: what are your plans for more children?

• My cousin has had three c/s and that was it for her (but they only wanted three kids.)  My SIL has had two c/s and her doc told her as they were closing her up from her second that her uterus looked good and she was cleared for a third pregnancy.

It's my understanding that they'll evaluate you on the table and let you know from there how it looks for a future pregnancy.

• I don't think I would worry after having just one unless the doctor said anything specific to my body that made it inadvisable. 

I had a c-section with my son and will more than likely have another with my second child. I would definitely ask the doctor how things are looking after the second one, but if he said all looked good, I don't think I would worry about having a third the same way. I asked my old doctor what she feels should be the max number of c-sections, and she said something along the lines of five or more. Definitely not a factor in my case!   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My BFF had 3 c-secs (you might remember i posted her pic a while back. she is a personal trainer now with crazy abs after 3 kids). She would have another kid in a heart beat but her husband is almost 20 years older than her and would probably stroke out if they had a 4th girl (all 3 are girls).

I had 2 c-secs and am really not keen on a 3rd. It's not due to fear of the inside stuff. I had a rough recovery with #2 and can't imagine feeling like that again and having 2 kids to look after. Plus, we have always wanted to adopt and have decided to limit our family at 3 due to our age vs the 4 we originally hoped for. 

• My doc has cleared me for a third. I, however, feel like I'm pushing it on age and amount of money available for tuition; we have decided to stop at two. My ability to carry is not a consideration, really, at this point.

Recovery from my first section was much rougher than my second. If they could only all be like my second one. :)

• imageTexasPaige:

I asked my old doctor what she feels should be the max number of c-sections, and she said something along the lines of five or more. Definitely not a factor in my case!   

FIVE???  Yowch!  That just doesn't seem healthy to keep cutting into the same organ that many times.  But hey, I'm not a doctor!

Viula, that is awesome that you plan to adopt.  I remember having the conversation at Skeeters at our very first BOTB GTG, when you were just a few months pregnant with Truitt.  You said, "I want 4 kids, 2 sons, one daughter, and a gay son."  It really made me laugh, so it's stuck with me all these years.  I actually thought of you when I was pondering this subject.

• I've had three c-sections so far... There are no plans for another, but my doc was a-okay with having another after my last one.  He said after 4, we will talk again, but everything looked great and there was no reason he saw for me to not have another one if that was in our plans.  He told me before I had Sam when we were discussing having my tubes tied during her birth, that I could have up to 5 babies without him worrying, after that he would advise against it. 

Luckily for me... I advise against anymore for my own sanity. :) 

~*~Jenn~*~
  • MIL has had 5 C-sections! I think she's nuts! ;) I had a C-section and had a pretty hard recovery. We plan to have one more kiddo but that's it. I'm already freaked out about the thought of recovering from another C-section. Hopefully the second time will be easier for me like lilycat! :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Every person heals differently.  I've performed c-sections on patients with just one before and it looked like a bomb went off (scar tissue).  On the flip side, I have performed upwards of 4 and 5 and they healed great from all of the previous ones.  So you just never know until you get in there. 

The real risks of multiple repeat c-sections are injuries to surrounding organs (intestines, bladder) from having to cut through scar tissue.  It can make the surgery much more challenging and risky to mom.  In addition, it increases the risk of placenta accreta and the need for a hysterectomy at the time of c-section.  We generally counsel our patients that on c-section #3 and beyond they are at increased risk of hysterectomy, and they sign a consent form for it prior to surgery.  It's better to be prepared than be blind-sided by this after surgery is over.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • imageNanner:
    imageTexasPaige:

I asked my old doctor what she feels should be the max number of c-sections, and she said something along the lines of five or more. Definitely not a factor in my case!   

FIVE???  Yowch!  That just doesn't seem healthy to keep cutting into the same organ that many times.  But hey, I'm not a doctor!

Viula, that is awesome that you plan to adopt.  I remember having the conversation at Skeeters at our very first BOTB GTG, when you were just a few months pregnant with Truitt.  You said, "I want 4 kids, 2 sons, one daughter, and a gay son."  It really made me laugh, so it's stuck with me all these years.  I actually thought of you when I was pondering this subject.

ha! how funny that you still remember that! the gay son has to be the youngest so he can help me set my hair when i am old. lol.

we have reduced the number of kids by 1 and if we adopt it will probably be a girl even though i wanted 3 of the same. so, close but nothing ever works out *exactly* as we want it ;) 

• imagerayskit10:
    ha! how funny that you still remember that! the gay son has to be the youngest so he can help me set my hair when i am old. lol.

we have reduced the number of kids by 1 and if we adopt it will probably be a girl even though i wanted 3 of the same. so, close but nothing ever works out *exactly* as we want it ;) 

I totally imagined my grandmother when I read that.  She always used setting lotion and curlers with this:

• imageNanner:
    imagerayskit10:

I totally imagined my grandmother when I read that.  She always used setting lotion and curlers with this:

My mom still has one of those! LOL 

~*~Jenn~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"