Baby Showers
Options

What's the most expensive thing on your registry?

I ask b/c I'm trying to decide if I should list the stroller I want on my registry or not. I'm worried it will look bad b/c the price is pretty obnoxious ($400).

Re: What's the most expensive thing on your registry?

• Options
    Just because it's on your registry, doesn't mean anyone has to buy it.  Besides, having it there will get you a discount if you have to buy it yourself so I say put it on there.  Also, an item that price gives people the option to do a group gift, KWIM?
  • Options
    Oh, and to answer your question, the most expensive thing on mine is my breast pump which is close to $400.  And next to that is probably 150-200.  We bought all the furniture ourselves, but if we hadn't I would have the furniture on the registry, as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our travel system was $300, but my mom ran out and bought it.

Our recliner was $400, but we broke down and bought it because I needed a comfy place to sit.

Right now the most expensive things left are the throw rug at $150, swing at $170, and breast pump at $150.

But put anything you want on there.  It's just an option for people.  You're not setting an expectation that have to open their wallets and buy it.  And sometimes people like to split the cost on big items.  You never know.

Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options
    I put the travel system I wanted on my registry and it was close to 400. I didnt expect anyone to buy it, I just put it there because I can get a discount on it later for having it on my registry. But then yesterday I saw someone bought it for us! Its a win-win situation, so I say add away!

• Options
    I have to say the most expensive item on my registry is like $70. My family got me all the "Big" stuff so I did not have to put any of it on my registry.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    mrs.cammrs.cam member
    I think the $150 monitor and swings are tied for most expensive.  We bought all the pricier items ourselves, including the $600 stroller.  BUT, I don't think it is offensive of you to put it on, afterall, grandparents are likely to spend that much and may want to buy the stroller for you.
  • Options

Our most expensive item is our Colgate Classica I mattress on Amazon.com. (It's price changes, but it runs around $140)

If we don't receive it, it kinda sucks because there's no completion discount on an Amazon registry.  We'll have to explore other options!  =)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The Chicco carseat, likely. I can't imagine putting a $400 stroller on a registry. Unless you plan to buy it yourself with your discount. I always balk at those registries with multiple $400-800 items on them.
  • Options
    I think as long as your registry isn't all expensive items you should be fine.  I have a few $100+ items but a lot of smaller items too.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers VOTE on my Name List
  • Options

We had the Bob stroller at close to $400 as the most expensive item, but went ahead and bought it ourselves when we found it on sale, so we deleted it.  Next most expensive are the $200 car seats.  I don't think it's a problem to have a couple of expensive items on your registry as long as you have plenty of cheap stuff, too.

Oh wait, I take it back.  We have "College Education" on our registry as well, for $250,000.  You know, in case someone feels like it...Big Smile

• Options
    Most expensive on mine is my car seat, which is around $180. My coworkers went in on it. I say put whatever you want on, people will only buy what they feel comfortable buying...
    wonderboy, born 08/10/10; healthy & amazing. 
    runaway bunny, born and died full term 02/17/14.
    bfp #3 10/03/14 (first attempt following perinatal loss); labeled nonviable 10/25/14
    bfp #4 11/28/14 (first attempt following miscarriage); betas look good 12/04/14; high risk "100% happy" with ultrasound & heartbeart 12/29/14.

"I am half agony, half hope." [jane austen] 
  • Options
    imageKSME924:
    Oh, and to answer your question, the most expensive thing on mine is my breast pump which is close to $400.  And next to that is probably 150-200.  We bought all the furniture ourselves, but if we hadn't I would have the furniture on the registry, as well.
    This exactly. I don't expect to get the breast pump, but it's on there. As long as you have a wide price range for guests to choose from, you're fine :)
  • Options
    imageChelMcQ:

I know that both my parents and DH's parents want us to put everything we want on the registry and plan to spend a lot of money.

When I look at registries I always assume that immediate family is going for the bigger ticket items.

Plus, if you're getting a good discount, forget what other people think.

This.

And I love it when people put that stuff on there. My friends and I will all go in together to buy the gift. That way we don't have to worry about carrying a big box into the shower. We just get it shipped to there house! But we all do sign a card with a picture of whatever we got her (or them if it's a wedding). 

• Options
    K.a.T.eK.a.T.e member
    $229 - city mini stroller
  • Options
    My breast pump was the most expensive (around 290) and someone got it for me.  Our other 2 expensive items were our glider and stroller and our parents each paid for one.
  • Options

imageK.a.T.e:
    $229 - city mini stroller

This

• Options
    I put my stroller on there ($450) and my MIL bought it for us. Just because it is on there doesn't mean people have to buy it. A registry is a choice. 
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options
    tracy41tracy41 member
    I have to be honest, in the past when I saw people asking for really expensive items on their registries I thought it was kind of obnoxious.  But now that I know about the completion discounts I get it.  I put a $300 breast pump on mine and a $300 travel system.  I would never expect anyone to buy them, and honestly I will probably try to get 20% coupons and get them with those, but if all else fails knowing that I will get at least 10% off is nice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Our changing table and crib are $400 each. The most expensive baby purchase so far is our Uppa Baby Vista stroller. I did not put that on the registry as I didn't want people knowing how much I paid for it. The swing was registered for and that was $200. All other registered gifts are under $120. 

I put everything mostly on the registry so that I can crib track of what I need and don't need. People will buy what is in their price range to buy. I have heard from quite a few stores that it's better to have a mix of expensive and cheap items. This way they have options to pool in as a group or get whatever is in their price range! :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

After a lot of deliberation we put the uppababy vista stroller on our amazon registry, even though there is no completion discount. We used the registry as more of a check list of what we need and we decided the vista was the stroller we'd get.  Come to find out someone actually bought the vista.  Now the most expensive things are the breast pump (around $300) followed by the swing.  Most items are around $25 or under.  

I never balk when I see more expensive things on registries, unless it's only a registry of items over $100.  As long as you have a range of pricing I don't think anyone is offended. 

• Options
    Breast pump at $279 but only because MIL bought the furniture and my mom bought the crazy expensive stroller.  I don't expect anyone will buy the pump, I just want the discount. 
  • Options
    Our glider is the most expensive (I think $325ish). But the travel system was $300 and a few people went in on it and got it for us. I'd say put it on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The only "expensive" thing i have on mine is an Inglesina pram/ stroller (quite a bit more than $400) but we plan to buy it later on when need it. Our parents told me to put some higher priced items on it so I put that. The high chair is pretty expensive too and i don't even know if I will end up using one so i put it on there as private so nobody else can see it. As long as you have lots of less expensive stuff, I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of strollers cost way more than that and it's not like you are choosing stuff just to get people to buy you big-ticket items.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The stroller for $200. I wouldn't feel bad putting something $400 on there because a lot of times people like to go in together on purchasing gifts. I know one of my BF or close family members will be the one spending $ on the pricier items, I wouldn't expect anyone else to shell out that much money.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

most expensive item was breast pump which was 280. we bought furniture and stroller ourselves. and we have few items that are in the 100s. for close friends i usually spend around 100 for a gift so figured it wouldn't be obnoxious to do that.

• Options

Hi. Caden.  It's funny that I clicked on this before I saw that you were the poster.

I would put the stroller on the registry.  People may go in together to get it for you, and if not you could always get the discount. :-)

• Options
    imageHBaylies:

Right now the most expensive things left are the throw rug at $150, swing at $170, and breast pump at $150.

A $150 throw rug??  For a baby??  

• Options
    imageEmjay221:
    imageHBaylies:

A $150 throw rug??  For a baby??  

The rug we put in our nursery was almost $1000. It isn't just for the baby, we wanted something soft and cozy to lay on when we're playing with him, as well as something that looks good. But I definitely wouldn't have registered for a rug, no matter the cost. I don't believe people are supposed to be decorating my nursery for me. 

The most expensive items on our registry were the stroller (Quinny Buzz - approx. $500) and high chair (Bloom Fresco - approx. $400). The only reason I included them was because my aunt's asked me to so they knew exactly which style/color I wanted. Everything else is very reasonably priced, no more than $125. 

• Options
    I'm wondering what "cheap" stuff I can put on my registry other than a bottle or two and some crib sheets and pacifiers. Everything seems "big ticket" to me right now. Pack n'plays and breast pumps and strollers and crib mattresses. It's just that almost everything I need for the baby is big stuff. I foresee a lot of gift cards in my future. That is, if all my friends don't decide I'm a selfish ***. and don't get me anything at all. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"