Northern California Babies
Options

Gave Charlie prune juice and still nothing!

He hasn't pooped  since last Saturday so the pediatrition said to give him 2 oz prune juice + 2oz water. He finished it at 8:35, its 1:00 now and still nothing. How long does it typically take for things to start moving after giving him prune juice?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gave Charlie prune juice and still nothing!

• Options
    It's variable. Did you use baby prune juice or the regular adult prune juice? Baby prune juice is less likely to work. they strain out all the good stuff. 
  • Options

I used adult. I also put a thermometer up there 3x yesterday (she said to try that first).

Do you think this warrants calling the advice line or wait until Tues and take him into see the dr.?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can call the advice line. I would probably recommend another stab with the prune juice. He will poop eventually.
  • Options
    I have been putting a little prune juice in Katies milk since she started whole milk and it helps. Give hime more or straight prune juice or apple juice or something, I dont know how long it takes. Wow!!
  • Options

It can awhile. Give more and make it warm that helps also. The only thing we used for JLK who was severe sometimes that worked ASAP was corn syrup!

I hated doing it...but it worked

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    erinmserinms member
    It can take a while.  Do some more prune juice and give it some time.  If he is not uncomfortable then it is just fine to let him wait a bit more.  Is he breastfed?  DS would go through stretches of not pooping, and it would drive me crazy.  I am a pediatric nurse, so rationally I knew he was totally fine, but for some reason it always made me sort of anxious.  I mean, I would be uncomfortable if I didn't poop for a week!  But with breastmilk, they just process it so efficiently that there isn't as much waste as you would expect.  
  • Options
    Update: he finally went at 2:45 then again around 5:30 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"