Parenting after 35
Options

mally fell off a table today

Yes, it's my turn for mother of the year award. When I picked her up from daycare today, the provider alerted me to something and suggested I have the pedi take a look. I had gotten off work early today and the pedi was still open, so we walked over for a walk-in appt. When we got into the exam room, Mal had pooped so I needed to change her. I put her on the exam table, changed her, then turned to put the diaper in the garbage. The step thing wasn't working so I let go of her for literally 2 seconds to lift the lid of the garbage can.

As I did this, she rolled over the edge of the exam table and fell about 3 feet to the floor. She was hysterical and has been crying on and off ever since. The pedi of course examined her, checked her eyes, checked her whole body for pain. It appears that she hit her knee the hardest, and is otherwise okay. Less than 5 seconds--that's the time I had my eye off of her and the time it took for her to get hurt.

I feel like a total failure as a mother right now. That sounds extreme, but it's totally how I feel. :( 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: mally fell off a table today

• Options
    nisemsnisems member

awww - of course you feel terrible, but it could happen, (or already has), to any of us.  I'm so glad that she is ok, and what better place for it to happen than at the pedi office.  Not that there is a good place for that to happen, but you got everything checked out right away and know that she is ok.

I think it is a good warning to all of us to be careful, but please don't beat yourself up too much.  I hope Miss Mally's knees feel better soon! Give her some extra cuddles tonight.

• Options

Thanks, Denise. You're right, if it's gonna happen, at least it was at the pedi's office.

The irony here is that I am forever nagging DH that he can't take his eyes off the baby, that he can't leave her alone on the bed or changing table because she might roll off... And of course I'm the one who takes her eyes off the baby and she rolls off.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

*hugs*

Awww!  It happens to everyone at some point!  At least you were already at the pediatrician's! 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Poor Mally! But how great that it happened at the Pedi's office (if it had to happen). These things happen to every mother so you're not alone!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Aw.. poor sweet pea!
  • Options
    steverstever member

Oh no! Poor little love.

Left Hug 

• Options

Oh, how awful you must feel. But don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen. ((HUG))

And, hey, at least you were at the doctor's. ;-)

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    You know what? That could have happened to any one of us. I am soo sorry you had to experience that. I am so glad she is ok!
  • Options
    Naturally you feel bad - but it could happen to anyone.  And just think - she fell off at the doctor's office, so she was able to be looked at quite quickly.  I'm glad she is okay - and don't feel guilty.  These little ones are so quick!
  • Options
    M.AmyM.Amy member

Don't beat yourself up over it. Just take it as a lesson learned and experience as a new mom.

Give her a kiss on that little knee for all of us! 

• Options

OMG I'm so sorry!!! I bet you feel way worse than she does at this point, and I'm pretty sure she's totally forgotten about it. Poor baby - and momma!

click the pic (blog)
  • Options

You are definately NOT a failure! They call them "accidents" for a reason. Don't beat yourself up.

I agree with PP, at least if it was going to happen, it happen to at the Pedi's. I hope her knee feels better. :o(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"