Natural Birth
Options

Intro (long)

I've been lurking here for a while, I'm usually on the multiples board and sometimes the EFF board.

I am a mom of four, currently expecting #s 5 & 6 (very unexpected, unsuccessful vasectomy)

I had my oldest at the hospital when I was very young. I was induced due to pre-e and had an epidural. Not a horrible experience but I knew there was a better way for me.

I had my 2nd at a birth center with a midwife and he was born in the water. I absolutely loved it. He got stuck when I was pushing but I was able to move and get him through my pelvis. Not something I could have done with an epidural. The water was more effective for me than the epidural and I felt so lucid the whole time. I recovered so much faster and he was way more alert than my oldest was. He nursed right away, I took a shower, and we all climbed into bed.

I had my 3rd at our old apartment in a birthing pool with the same midwife and it was also amazing. I pushed three times and she was out. Her cord was short and broke when my DH pulled her out so the pool looked like someone had been slaughtered. We were both fine, the midwife clamped both ends of the cord quickly. She nursed right away and we climbed into bed after I took a quick shower and got some comfy clothes on.

I had my 4th at our house in a birthing pool and he was born after three pushes too. The only time I really felt major discomfort were those last few contractions right before he was born. It was completely manageable before then. He also nursed right away, I snuck away to take a shower and then we all climbed into bed. My kids are always showing up at night. Very convenient for me : )

With this pregnancy I can't have a home birth because it's twins, although I probably would if I could. I am going to have a drug-free birth at the hospital. I can't tell you how many people disagree with my decision because I could end up having to have an emergency section. My thoughts on the matter are that I am not going to have drugs on the off chance that something may go wrong. If something goes wrong, they can put me under general.

Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro (long)

• Options
    Wow, it sounds like you have had some amazing birth experiences! I wish you lots of luck getting the experience you want this time too!
    Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10
  • Options

Thank you for sharing your experiences - they sound awesome :)

Have you asked around to different midwives?  I'm Type 1 Diabetic, and while some won't take me (and birth centers with CNMs instead of CPMs definitely won't), I contacted 4 who all agreed to work with me for a home birth.  One of them mentioned that if the pregnancy is healthy, she will work with a twins mama, too.  I know some states have laws against it, but I just thought I'd throw it out there and encourage you to ask around if you haven't already.

My first was a med-free hospital birth.  It can be done!  How far along ar you?  Good luck to you! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I know it's not funny, but dang, daddy must be super fertile for twins after a vasectomy (my mom's a twin, and they were born after my grandma had her tubes tied, they were six and seven)!!!

I second the asking around for midwives.  My Bradley Class instructor, who is also a doula, knows of midwives who will do births that are technically not allowed by law, such as VBACs and twins.  So you might have to ask around different channels.

• Options

The nearest midwife who will do a twin birth is around 2 hours away :(

I don't mind having them in the hospital at this point. I know I can still do it drug free and someone can come to my house and watch my kids and they will be more comfortable that way. My boys will be in school by the time the babies are due (in October) and my daughter will be in pre-school and I don't want them to miss school and go stay with one of my family members. Our littlest is still pretty much a baby, he's only 13 months old, and I am doubtful he'd sleep anywhere but in his own bed. He's a stickler for his routine. I wish they were all like that!

Oh and yeah, my husband and I are ridiculously fertile. Seriously, we got pregnant when I was a teenager after only one time. He stuck around and we basically grew up together. He's 6 years older than me but maturity wise we were about the same ; )

We've been married for 9 1/2 years. It's hard to believe considering I'm only 25.

I hope you all have wonderful natural births, it's such a great way to go! Don't let anyone discourage you. Arm yourself with a copy of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and draw strength from that. It's a great book no matter what kind of natural birth you are planning.

Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"