Single Parents
Options

RP from 12-24 re:tattoos

I've been posting a few times the last few days getting thoughts on tatoos and I have one I want to get but I'm debating about location for several reasons - work/career it needs to be something I can cover if necessary; pain wise (I don't have any tattoos yet so I want to start slow, I know anything will hurt but don't want to pick the most painful place ever either) and also because it is somewhat small although it can be bigger, I want it to be small. 

I was thinking wrist (cover with watch/bracelet) but it would have to be my left wrist and I carry DS on my left hip with my left wrist under his hiney.  I don't like the thought of hip or something because then it would only show if I am naked or in a swimsuit which seems pointless.  And I don't want a foot tat because for sandals I wear at work it wouldn't be able to be covered.  So I am thinking upper back, like at the line of my shirt, where it is able to be seen with tank tops or other summery shirts, while it can be covered and professional for work.  The best way to describe that is that it would be above my shoulder blades, like draw a triangle including both shoulder blades and my neck and it would be at the top - closer to the neck line.  Sorry if that makes no sense. 

Any input on any of these?  Or other ideas?  Pros cons to each?  I know exactly what I want, location is my only issue.  Have an appointment tonight to get information and meet the guy and go from there.  TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: RP from 12-24 re:tattoos

• Options
    mrgnmrgn member

Your shoulder blade or upper arm is a great place to start pain wise. I imagine shoulder blade will be a little more painful, but not nearly as bad as foot or wrist. As far as covering it goes, shoulder blade, hip or upper arms are a good choice I have a 1/4 sleeve on my upper arm and I easily cover it with a short sleeve shirt. Feet and wrists are a high infection risk as they are exposed to a lot more than your abdomen.

The 1/4 sleeve was my first tattoo. It really was not terrible, and I sat there for 3 hours straight. I have a couple on my foot and those were very painful to get. It will depend heavily on the tattoo artist. Some have heavy hands which mean more pain, while others are more light and smooth. I would say, for your first tattoo, be sure to go someone who is very experienced. It is worth the extra money  it might take to get someone who has been doing it for years.

Also, discuss your concerns with an artist. They often have GREAT advice about placement.

• Options
    What about upper back?  And your daughter's pic is too cute!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Completely agree with mrgn, the foot hurts! I chose to get my first tattoo on my foot and I definitely don't plan on getting another in that area!

I have four, and the one that hurt the least was on my hip actually, and it's easy to cover. My next one is 'planned' to be on the back of my neck. Here's hoping it's not too painful!

Flying Solo, Formula Feeding, Working, Loving Life Momma of One. Image and video hosting by TinyPic ::NEW POST ON 2.7.2011:: Come Today, Blue Skies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Options
    imagekeelyxrosepetal:

Completely agree with mrgn, the foot hurts! I chose to get my first tattoo on my foot and I definitely don't plan on getting another in that area!

I have four, and the one that hurt the least was on my hip actually, and it's easy to cover. My next one is 'planned' to be on the back of my neck. Here's hoping it's not too painful!

This... hip hurts the least IMO. My foot hurt, but wasn't that bad. What I will never do again is the touch up on my foot. OUCH! I would do upper back I think, but I don't have one there so I can't tell you about the pain.

• Options
    I am actually back on the wrist I think.  It is what my gut is telling me. 
  • Options
    I have 3, including one on my left wrist. I have one on my hip, one on the inside of my ankle, and my wrist. the wrist did not hurt anymore than the others! Good luck making a decision!
  • Options

Wrist wouldn't be bad... but if you're really worried about covering it up, just be careful placing it somewhere so obvious for your first tattoo (this is your first, right?)  Only because you may not feel like always wearing a watch or bracelet, etc.

I had my first one on my upper thigh, and a few years ago made it into a piece that covers almost my entire upper thigh now. It was a great working piece.

Also? Inner ankle is an easy spot. I have a small one there and unless people really look, it's not too noticeable.

Good luck! They're addictive!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"