Blended Families
Options

POA & Custody arrangement (NBFR)

DH and I are going out of town (camping - no cell reception) for our anniversary next week. Drew will be staying with my parents (I am such a nervous nelly, I wrote 10 pages of instructions for all his medical needs etc, lol).

I am going to get a notarized Power of Attorney saying they can make medical decisions for Drew in the event we cannot be reached.

We are also going to get a notarized document stating who will get custody of Drew should anything happen to both DH and I, since we do not have wills (yeah, we'll be taking care of that as soon as we get back!)

Any ideas on specific information I need to include besides names/etc?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: POA & Custody arrangement (NBFR)

• Options
    Wow.  You ARE nervous!  Is DH the father of Drew?
  • Options

imageunexpectedmomofsix:
    Wow.  You ARE nervous!  Is DH the father of Drew?

Yes, DH is Drew's BF.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

There are actually forms you can fill out and print online.  That is what I have done for my DD.  The nice thing is you can search by your state too to make sure you have the right forms for your area.  One that I found is:

https://www.free-legal-document.com

• Options
    imagerhoneelynn:

There are actually forms you can fill out and print online.  That is what I have done for my DD.  The nice thing is you can search by your state too to make sure you have the right forms for your area.  One that I found is:

https://www.free-legal-document.com

awesome, just printed them off! thanks!

• Options
    SWmamaSWmama member

Is it bad if it took me your whole post to realize that POA meant Power of Attorney not Piece of @$$?

Yeah, I'm officially one of those SAHM's whose brain has turned to mush Surprise

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    imageInternetExplorer:

Honestly, I wouldn't leave a medically fragile two month old baby.  I am surprised by this post.

And it seems downright irresponsible to go to a place where you can't be reached with 

a. a child that young and

b. a child that is medically fragile.

I get needing a break, but maybe a local hotel nearby?  This seems crazy...

I  fully understand and appreciate the concern. Drew has been stable for some time now, my parents are 100% educated and capable of caring for him, and they have the phone number of the campground office where someone is 24/7 in order to get messages to us, and where we can place phone calls out. All of this is just cautionary. We ran it past his surgical team as well as his primary care pediatrician, and everyone gave the thumbs up. We will only be gone 2 days, but can be back in town in an hour if needed.

• Options
    mom2onemom2one member
    How long has Drew been home from the hospital now?
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options

imagemom2one:
    How long has Drew been home from the hospital now?

7 weeks. it will be 8 when we go on our trip.

• Options
    J&A2008J&A2008 member
    imageInternetExplorer:

Honestly, I wouldn't leave a medically fragile two month old baby.  I am surprised by this post.

And it seems downright irresponsible to go to a place where you can't be reached with 

This was my thought as well, but then, I've been criticized for "being a martyr" so, damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    mom2onemom2one member
    imageErin0922:
    imageInternetExplorer:

I  fully understand and appreciate the concern. Drew has been stable for some time now, my parents are 100% educated and capable of caring for him, and they have the phone number of the campground office where someone is 24/7 in order to get messages to us, and where we can place phone calls out. All of this is just cautionary. We ran it past his surgical team as well as his primary care pediatrician, and everyone gave the thumbs up. We will only be gone 2 days, but can be back in town in an hour if needed.

Seems crazy to me that any mom would WANT to be away from their special needs 2 month old infant for any length of time. But what do I know? 

Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options

Ok, wasn't trying to open up a discussion on my parenting skills/priorities.

Just asking about custody and POA documents. Which I would have been asking about whether he was special needs or not.

Thanks anyways.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"