Hawaii Babies
Options

OPK strips v. CBEFM

Lisa, I saw in the TTC-hints post that you mentioned something about OPK strips being much more sensitive than the CBEFM - did I read that right? 

One of my friends has been testing with the CBEFM since March, and has never seen a peak day - she's getting a little worried that she's not ovulating, and I'm wondering if she should just switch to OPKs.  I've also encouraged her to start charting. 

Just thought I'd ask!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: OPK strips v. CBEFM

• Options
    I think charting would be her best bet to determine if she's ovulating.  She could still get a positive OPK and not ovulate.  I don't know too much about the CBEFM, though. 
  • Options

imagesanae78:
    I think charting would be her best bet to determine if she's ovulating.  She could still get a positive OPK and not ovulate.  I don't know too much about the CBEFM, though. 

yeah, that's what I said too.  I was just hoping for some loophole where she might feel more hopeful...

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's good you suggested she start charting, Sandra!  That's really the only way to confirm, after-the-fact, that she's ovulating.

She should buy some OPK test strips and compare it with the results she's getting from the CBEFM.  I know the OPK test strips worked for both you and me.  Smile

Lori should be able to provide some insight on the CBEFM.

• Options

It's good you suggested she start charting, Sandra!  That's really the only way to confirm, after-the-fact, that she's ovulating.

She should buy some OPK test strips and compare it with the results she's getting from the CBEFM.  I know the OPK test strips worked for both you and me.  Smile

• Options

• Options
    imageMrsNicole&Brian808:

I used OPKs, charting BBT/CM/CP and the CBEFM (yeah, I really wanted to get KU).  I found that for me, the CBEFM was right on everytime with my chart.

Here's my chart from the first cycle I used the CBEFM (I had already charted two cycles prior to this one w/out using it).  You can see how the monitor aligns with the OPK, CM, CP and temps.  This was the next cycle's chart, when we got our BFP, but as you can see it was totally wacked and it's truly a wonder that we got KU.  I chalk it all up to the marathon of BMS!

That said, the CBEFM "learns" your cycle...so after a few cycles have gone by it should be giving fairly accurate readings.  Since she just started using in March it stands to reason that only one or two cycles may have gone by.  Do you know if she has regular cycles or longer ones?  Also, is there any chance she may have PCOS?  Is she recently off hormonal BC?  These may have a factor in her never seeing a "peak" reading.  Also, if you search the charts on FF you will find that some never get a peak, only highs, but still get KU when they've had BMS on the high read days.

I'd recommend that she continue to use the CBEFM for at least two more cycles before worrying that it's not giving her accurate readings.  She may want to use cheapie OPKs as a second method of testing or just add in BBT and CM charting in addition to using the CBEFM.

• Options

thanks everyone!  I'll definitely pass on the advice.  

imageMarried2MrWright:

That said, the CBEFM "learns" your cycle...so after a few cycles have gone by it should be giving fairly accurate readings.  Since she just started using in March it stands to reason that only one or two cycles may have gone by.  Do you know if she has regular cycles or longer ones?  Also, is there any chance she may have PCOS?  Is she recently off hormonal BC?  These may have a factor in her never seeing a "peak" reading.  Also, if you search the charts on FF you will find that some never get a peak, only highs, but still get KU when they've had BMS on the high read days.

I'd recommend that she continue to use the CBEFM for at least two more cycles before worrying that it's not giving her accurate readings.  She may want to use cheapie OPKs as a second method of testing or just add in BBT and CM charting in addition to using the CBEFM.

especially all of this!  thank you!

• Options
    just fyi i was using OPKs and got positives...and i charted and got a thermal shift...but i wasn't ovulating. i think it's rare but it is still possible for your chart to look like you're O'ing when you're not.
  • Options

imagemrspresley:
    just fyi i was using OPKs and got positives...and i charted and got a thermal shift...but i wasn't ovulating. i think it's rare but it is still possible for your chart to look like you're O'ing when you're not.

eeps, i didn't know that.  thanks Jaime.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"