Houston Babies

Travelling with baby...

When did you start travelling with your new born? 

We have had a trip planned for July 14th for over a year.  If this baby boy comes on his due date he would only be 10 days old!  And I dont think travelling cross country would be such a good idea.  If he comes a little early, then I would consider it.  I would ideally like him to be almost 4 weeks old before we started travelling. My H and I have many different back up plans for this trip (it isn't something we can change, it is for my SS and it is a "must be at function" for something he has been working on for over 5 years).  I might just be at home with my mom for a few days.... We have talked about driving and flying there are options. 

Your thoughts?

Re: Travelling with baby...

• DD will go on her first trip in late July or early August so she will be 4-5 months old. We didn't take DD anywhere other than pedi's office until she was 5 weeks old. Pedi recommended she not go to overly crowded places(church, malls, airports) until she wa 6 weeks at least but preferrably until after 2 month shots. We still haven't taken her to any of those places - she's been to resturants during non peak hours, Target and the grocery store that's it.

If I were you, I'd drive if you really want to go but if it were me I wouldn't go. Let your DH go with your SS. 

• I would like to hear the answer to this as well!

My baby is due Nov 1st and we had been planning our annual ski trip on December 13th. While obviously I will not be skiing, I would still like to go and get away for a while if at all possible.

The baby would be 6 weeks old and we would be mostly in the cabin or out to eat. Also we would drive to Colorado and not fly.

In my situation with the baby being six weeks old as long as my pedi says it's ok I think it would be fine.

With yours only being 10 days old I would check with the pedi first and if you are going to be mainly at your moms I think it would be ok? But this is coming from my non parent perspective :)

I think I would recommend driving though and not flying.

Our Princess! Born 37w4d 6lbs 1/2oz 18in

visit our house blog: My Blog

Adalee's Blog Adalee's Blog My Bio

m/c 1/25/10 5w1d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We traveled for the first time at 12 weeks.  I think that having a possible 10-day old baby would definitely keep me at home.  If you needed a c-section or something I don't think you would feel up to it at all.  My sister was in my wedding 10 days after her second was born and she said that it was very hard...she had a vaginal birth. She didn't have to travel either.

I will say I did have a c-section and a very easy recovery but I still don't think I would have been up for a trip so soon after birth.

• Our Pedi recommended waiting until DD was 30 days old before we took her out in public.  We will be taking our first plane ride with her in July, she will be 6 1/2 months.

I would not have been able to travel far after 10 days.  I had a vaginal birth with a tear and was sore just riding in the car for 45 minutes 2 weeks later.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We took DD to Mexico at 4.5 months and it was great!!  Our pedi really didn't want us going out too much with her (and traveling) until after she was 8 weeks, especially since it was winter, flu season, etc.
  • imageBabyLoveTX:

Our Pedi recommended waiting until DD was 30 days old before we took her out in public.  We will be taking our first plane ride with her in July, she will be 6 1/2 months.

I would not have been able to travel far after 10 days.  I had a vaginal birth with a tear and was sore just riding in the car for 45 minutes 2 weeks later.

Note to self: No travelling for me in 10 days!

I am hoping for a vaginal delivery.  But if I have to be sectioned then I will just stay home.  There is no way.  10 days is very early and I dont think I could handle that at all.  Though I would be at our hotel, I think I would prefer to be in my house.  Thanks everyone for your input! Now to research those night time nannies Rayskit posted about a couple of weeks ago.  Think I might need one. 

• I would plan for you to stay home. My DD was late. You might not have even had the baby yet! What if you go and deliver on your trip? What if there are complications and you are stuck somewhere away from family? I certainly don't wish that for you but with birth you have to consider every scenario. I also think 10 days is too small. I traveled with my kids when DS was 3 months and he really seemed so small to me at that point. I was scared the whole time.
  • Hey! We traveled at 10 days and I had a 3rd degree tear. That was nothing...it was the excruciating tailbone pain that I was dealing with, but that was only hard getting in and out of the car. When I was sitting I was fine. 

Until this last trip, it was the easiest traveling we ever did with Tracey. We were driving to orleans because rrr was riding in a mardi gras parade. We spent one night at a friends' condo then my parents brought Tracey and I back to their house for the next night while the guys were parading. 

I nursed her and we got on the road. She slept about 3 hours. We stopped near Lake Charles, I nursed her, changed her, and she slept until baton rouge. Nursed her/changed her again and she slept the last hour.

• imagelautrec:
    I would plan for you to stay home. My DD was late. You might not have even had the baby yet! What if you go and deliver on your trip? What if there are complications and you are stuck somewhere away from family? I certainly don't wish that for you but with birth you have to consider every scenario. I also think 10 days is too small. I traveled with my kids when DS was 3 months and he really seemed so small to me at that point. I was scared the whole time.

We (H and I) are not going ANYWHERE if this baby is late.  My ILs have graciously volunteered to take my SS to his event if needed.  And if all else fails we have a family member that lives 2.5 hours from the event, if we need to put him on a plane and ship his butt.  We have been walking through every scenario (I am a planner...this has to be thought out completely!)

Thanks everyone for your input.  It helps getting different perspectives. 

• Suzi-G-Suzi-G- member

I'd plan to stay home.  Ten days after my due date I was having a baby.  Big Smile

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"