North Carolina Babies
Options

Paging Baby Sleep Experts

Margo has been STTN since 6 weeks... but now has started this new little habit over the past few weeks which is getting a little annoying, and I'm worried they'll become bigger problems as she gets older. She will wake up from 1 - 3 times and just kind of grunt and make noises, but won't stop until we (er, I) go in and give her her paci. Then she turns her head and falls alseep immediately. A lot of times it's kind of just a zombie thing for me and DH and I'm afraid we've kind of enabled a bad habit by doing it. But at 1:45am, I'm not so concerned :)

She's currently still swaddled and we give her a paci to fall asleep. So, there's our two addictions right there... they helped but we're nearing the time when we have to break the addictions. I've started reading the Ferber book which basically advises not using a paci at night.

Also, last week we were starting the process of gradually deswaddling, and I'm not sure if that is playing into this? We decided to try deswaddling because she seemed to be waking herself up by trying to snake her arms up through the swaddleme, and once her arm was out she'd wake herself up w/ it.

So, the goal is we'll be deswaddled and probably do some sleep training to omit the paci-return trips into her room at night. Is it too early to worry about trying to do this stuff? I think the Ferber book says 5 months, and we're only at 4 1/2.  Which do you think would be better to tackle first? Or both at once?

Re: Paging Baby Sleep Experts

• Options

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I see no reason to try and wean off the paci that early. I personally have no intentions to completely wean off of it until around age 2. Holly only gets hers in her bed, and in the car. It's a soothing thing, and personally I don't want to take something away that is comforting to her, until she can understand why I'm taking it. People definitely get rid of it sooner, that's just my thinking.

Holly STTN the night early too, and unfortunately, going back in to give the paci was just part of the deal for those first few months. I'm sure it sounds obnoxious, but if she's sleeping that well, and is only slightly fussy when she needs her paci and it doesn't require you getting her up, etc, I'd just deal with it. I'd hate to mess with a good thing. The good news is, it won't be super long before she'll figure out how to put it back in herself!

Holly self-weaned from the swaddle around 5 months. She just kept breaking out of it. By then we were using large flannel blankets that I made, instead of the Swaddle-Me's. You might want to try that; maybe start with one arm out, then move to both arms out, then she'll probably be good to go without it.

GL!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options

I think we stopped swaddling around 4.5/5 months too. She just got too wiggly and woke herself up a lot trying to get out of it.

We still have a paci at night though! I'm very pro-paci b/c she loves it so much, it helps her soothe herself when she's upset or tired, and it makes my life easier. If I were you, I'd continue to go in and give her the paci- pretty soon she'll be able to find it on her own anyway. Although I guess it's always worth a try to see if she would be fine without it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with Hughes. But then again, I was all about the path of least resistance when it came to sleeping, especially in the early days. It wasn't until Ben was about 6mos that we started serious sleep training.  But even then, it's kind of a joke because as soon as you get something figured out and working, you have to take it all back due to a cold or teething, etc. and then start all over again.  I felt like we were constantly doing some form of sleep training until he was about 1 or older.
  • Options
    I'm really wanting to keep the paci too... I was kind of jarred when I read that in the Ferber book bc I know so many friends who subscribe to his method, but they also use pacis so I was a little confused. :) Margo looooves the paci, and I think taking it away would be a big challenge at this point.
  • Options

Ditto everyone else.  I think most people I know that have followed the Ferber method end up picking and choosing what's important to them. 

DH and I have never minded if Nate wakes up once or twice, as long as he goes right back to sleep.  Even now, at 2!!, he wakes up during the night once or twice a week.  And it's almost always because he's dropped his paci behind his crib, so we bring him a new one and he goes right back to sleep.  We don't feel like it's a big deal, and it's not like anyone is losing more than 5 minutes of sleep when DS wakes up.

Nate only gets a paci in his bed, so we don't stress much about it.  We've talked about when we'll take it away, but I think that he'll probably decide that he's done with it on his own at some point.

• Options
    I agree. DD gets her paci in bed and I see no reason to get rid of it so soon. We've had our own sleep issues but DD learned to put the paci back in her mouth by herself around 6 months. Now we leave several in there so that she can always find one.
  • Options
    I think you have good advice from the other ladies.  Nic did not take a paci, he is a thumb sucker.  Once he found his thumb he was a much better sleeper but then he used me as a sleeping aid and that was horrible.  Once she starts waking up and not going back to sleep when you give her the paci that is when you should start to look into Ferber/other sleeping methods.  I would have killed for that kind of sleep at age. 
  • Options

I would prob. work on de-swaddling and stick with the passy if you are comfortable with it (we are also pro-passy people and based on advice from our Pedi and Dr. are comfortable using it long term, not til age 5 or anything, but you know what I mean!).  If you de-swaddle and put multiple passies in the bed, she should eventually learn to find it herself in the next couple of months.  We went through the same thing with Camryn after we stopped swaddling at 4.5 months--had to go in several times to re-insert passy.  But around 6 months, she started being able to find one and put it back in herself. We were good to go from then on! :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    If the paci is working for you I would still use it. You have plenty of time to figure out how to take it away later. DS is paci free now and has been for about two weeks. It wasn't as hard of a transition for him as we thought it would be. And I think it is normal for babies Margo's age to wake up a couple times a night still. Like PP said, as long as she is going back to sleep I wouldn't be concerned. Just enjoy the sleep for now! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"