D.C. Area Babies

Comment about drop side cribs

We had one with metal hardware for Jules and no problems....I did not get one for the new baby b/c of all the recalls, etc.  But seriously, I don't know how I would've gotten J into her crib during the last months of pregnancy had it not been for the drop side.  I guess I could have used a step stool, but that seems dangerous too.  Crazy.  Glad I'm done regardless.

Re: Comment about drop side cribs

• We have had absolutely no problems with our drop side crib.  It technically didn't get recalled by the company, despite all of their other drop side cribs being recalled.  (I think they just missed it.)  We ordered an immobilization kit anyway, but I'm not sure that we're going to use it.  The crib is put together correctly, has metal and wood hardware, and is extremely sturdy.  Even without a belly, I can't put a sleeping child in the crib with the side up unless the mattress is at the highest setting. 

Obviously one has to check the hardware periodically on the crib, but that's something we were doing anyway.  I'm not at all concerned.

• We have had no problems either and are using it for DS. I will say that our crib is a high-end model and is solid construction. We check the hardware every now and then to make sure it looks ok.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm too paranoid to get one at this point, given all of the recalls (we got a stationary crib), but I can see how they'd be convenient.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I really like the idea of the drop side crib, but now I'm way too paranoid to get one. I think we'll go stationary, but it sounds like it may be kind of inconvenient.
  • imagekikdoc:
    I really like the idea of the drop side crib, but now I'm way too paranoid to get one. I think we'll go stationary, but it sounds like it may be kind of inconvenient.

I'm only 5'3" and extremely huge with this pregnancy and have not had any problems putting DD (19mo) down in her non-drop-side crib. It's a little harder if she doesn't want to come out but overall - nothing major and no regrets on getting a regular crib (plus, it converts to a toddler bed and a double bed so it will be used for many many years).

• fyi, drop sides are convertible too.  mine converts to a toddler bed too.  i didn't care that it doesn't convert to a regular size bed though....i don't expect it to last forever.

i guess if i didn't get her in and out of her crib 4 times a day (i'm a SAHM) it wouldn't bother me as much, but she was also 28 pounds at 19 months. 

• imageasolare:

fyi, drop sides are convertible too.  mine converts to a toddler bed too.  i didn't care that it doesn't convert to a regular size bed though....i don't expect it to last forever.

i guess if i didn't get her in and out of her crib 4 times a day (i'm a SAHM) it wouldn't bother me as much, but she was also 28 pounds at 19 months. 

good point! I only do it once, at night

• imageSofka:
    imageasolare:

fyi, drop sides are convertible too.  mine converts to a toddler bed too.  i didn't care that it doesn't convert to a regular size bed though....i don't expect it to last forever.

i seriously remember it HURTING.  you're lucky it doesn't bother you! 

• imageasolare:
    imageSofka:
    imageasolare:

i seriously remember it HURTING.  you're lucky it doesn't bother you! 

probably the only thing that doesn't; this pregnancy has been absolutely miserable! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"