Pre-School and Daycare
Options

**MrsT or Canadians***

You mentioned in your post below that DD is half Canadian.

So my DH and I have a long-standing argument.  My mom is from Canada, so I always say I am half Canadian.  DH says - that is a nationality, not an ethnicity, so I can't "count" it.  He is half Italian, so that "counts" as an ethnicity. Confused

So help me settle this argument.  Can someone qualify as half Canadian?  Or would they be half-English or half-French (depending on the ancestry)?

Re: **MrsT or Canadians***

• Options
    Well, I am not Canadian, but I have heard people say, "I am Canadian" before.
  • Options
    yeah, I think the issue really comes into play when talking about your ancestry, not where you personally are from.  His argument is that Canada is a place, but everyone there has ancestry that goes back to England or France or...Canada if your ancestors were native.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, if it helps solve the argument, the RE considered it very important when he found out that DH is Canadian.  It meant extra testing done because of it.  Especially since his mother is French Canadian.

Both DD and DH are dual citizens of Canada.

• Options

I'm pretty sure you're half Canadian.

My grandma is from the Philippines, but her grandparents were from Spain. But my grandma is still considered Filipino, not Spanish.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    So sorry, but I have to agree with your DH.  I am Canadian because I live in Canada, but my ethnicity is half German, half English.  Maybe because Canada has only been it's own separate country since 1867 - so 143 years, which isn't that many generations yet.  Any fellow Canadians feel free to correct me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"