Pregnant after 35
Options

RP: Insomnia - anyone else?

I posted this on 2nd tri too - I think I have pregnancy insomnia, is anyone else dealing with this?  I used to be a great sleeper but now, I find myself awake at all hours of the night.  My Dr. prescribed 1/2 unisom to help with my "morning sickness" along with B-6  three times a day, but I never did that combo because I didn't want to be tired during the day - so I started taking 1/2 unisom before bed and it works great - the problem is, I don't want to have to keep doing that for the rest of this pregnancy.  I know part of the issue is I have a lot on my mind, the new baby, moving and changing jobs...but I can't take this anymore!  Anyone have any tips that helped? TIA

Re: RP: Insomnia - anyone else?

• Options

Yup. Quite badly actually.

A midwife recommended Coffea Cruda. It helps to calm down the mind, so to speak.

I was very sceptical (in fact I dismissed it initially) until I got desperate and tried it. Worked like a charm.

• Options
    Yes, my dr. told me to take tylonel PM. I was very apprehensive, but when I was up for 24+ hours and working and going to school, I finally broke down and took one. After that, I took it only when it was midnight and i was still up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have had this on and off thru both pregs. I tried the coffea crudia this time (its a homeopathic, whole foods carries it) and it does seem to help when the problem isn't heartburn/ acid reflux. Evening prenatal yoga classes have helped alot with physical symptoms and help me unwind at night. 

But the thing that helps the most are probably my relaxation CDs. I bought a birthing home study course that have CDs with relaxation/hypnosis sessions, all with the same woman's voice. They stop my mind from going all over the map and I'm so conditioned now that I fall out almost immediately. I still have many nights where I wake up a few hours later to pee, etc, but when I have trouble falling back asleep I can just turn the CD back on. Maybe something like that can help you unwind? Good luck!   

• Options
    Oh yes, and it's a royal pain in the butt. If I get 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep, I'm doing good. And of course, about 30 minutes before I have to get up, good ole carpal tunnel rears it's ugly head. I'm going to talk to my OB next week and see what I can take.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've got it too--since about week 14. I was taking the B6 and unisom combo for the 1st tri for morning sickness and although it worked like a charm, I also didn't want to rely on the Unisom for the rest of the pregnancy. I'm just working thru it. I get about 5 hours a night. Usually sleep for 3 hours or so, then wake up for 1-2 hours, then another 2 or so. After the first couple of weeks of exhaustion, my body just kind of adjusted to the new schedule. I'm still tired at the end ofthe day but not so exhausted during work hours. Sorry I don't have better advice. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"