Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How many NB and 0-3 clothes do I need?

Hi, ladies! I'm coming over from 3rd tri with a question. I'm "team green" and don't have many baby clothes yet - I have 2 NB outfits and three 0-3 outfits. I have a feeling I'm going to need more than this, but I've also heard a lot of people say to be careful not to buy too many baby clothes in the smaller sizes. How many do you recommend getting? Should I buy onesies or shirt/top outfits?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: How many NB and 0-3 clothes do I need?

• My DD wore NB size up until 5 1/2 weeks. She was 6 lbs 3 oz at birth. She had a handful of NB outfits that I rotated which was fine since I knew she'd grow so fast. Onesies are always great! Shirts might last longer though...I would at least have a few more NB outfits - keep the tags on them just in case.
  • We can still wear newbon at 6 weeks.  Just get sleepers and onesies.  We have probably 6 newborn sleepers and we need that (I went out and bought a couple more because we didn't have enough).  We have maybe 10 onesies, but I prefer the sleepers. 
  • Loading the player...
  • araevgaraevg member
    My LO is still wearing her NB clothes. . . You'll definitely need more outfits in each size!
    Ashley & Jeff Married since August 2007 BFP Cycle #16, Clomid 100mg DD #1 born on March 25, 2010 TTC #2 as of May 31, 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey there! I'm lurking over here. I really recommend those little side snap t-shirts at first. Doesn't go over the umbilical cord, plus you're really not going to want to put anything over the baby's head at first. I had 6 little t-shirts and maybe 6 pairs of cotton pants. All that in newborn size -- my DD was 8.5 pounds, but she wore newborn for over a month and 0-3 until she was 4 or 5 months. In 0-3 I had at least 6 onesies plus 3 or 4 footed sleepers. If I'd only had all of that (plus socks) I would have been fine for the first month at least. The best thing for you might be to have maybe 3 or 4 outfits washed and ready to go, but have someone (a new grandparent?) on standby to go buy gender specific stuff for you while you're still in the hospital so it can be washed and ready for you when you get home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Personally, I would buy a lot of newborn sleepers. LO was 7lbs 1oz at birth, and I think she'll be in newborn size for a while. We only had like 3 sleepers and had to run out to Carters the other day to buy 5 more. Worst case scenario is that you have to return them, but that's what I recommend!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I wouldn't buy very many newborn clothes. I would pick up some onsies and maybe a sleeper or two but leave the tags on. That way if your LO is small you can throw them in the wash and use them. If LO is on the larger side you can exchange them for 0-3 or 3-6 month. I would pick up a few more 0-3 onsies and rompers while you're out.
  • taagenttaagent member
    DD was 6lbs 9oz when she was born and as of her 1 month check up she weighed 8lbs8oz.  She STILL wears NB!  I have put a few 0-3 month clothes on her but I had to pin one outfit because it was too big, two others were shirt dresses so it wasn't a big deal except the diaper covers were HUGE on her.  I have only put four 0-3 month outfits on her and she is now 2 months old.
  • My guy was 9lbs 8oz at birth... He didn't really ever wear NB sizes. I wish I would've kept the tags on those outfits! He was in 0-3 months sizes for the first month. Now he's in 3-6 or 6-9 at two months.

It really depends on how big your LO is when s/he is born. Keep the tags on things, or just buy the 3 month sizes. It's not a big deal if stuff is a little big for the first month. Get onesies and the sleeping gowns with the elastic around the bottom. Our LO lived in those for the first month!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd get a half dozen items (pick your poison, onesies, sleepers, outfits, whatever) in each size to start with and go shopping once you have a better idea of what you need. Who knows how many NB vs 0-3 you're going to need and as a former Team Greener I can promise that people are going to buy you a ton of clothes once they know who they're shopping for.

DD is still in NB and I had to buy more NB stuff when she was born. The sleep sacks with the elastic bottom were my favorite for the first couple weeks. These days, with the sudden heat, she's in just onesies. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • you'll definitely need more!  DS was 8lb 1oz at birth and now weighs 10+ pounds and is still in newborn clothes-with the spit up, leaking pee/poop and everything else in between, we do a lot of changes!

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a ton of people tell me not to buy many NB clothes, so I listened to them and regretted it.  DS is 7 weeks old, over 9 lbs, and the 0-3 month clothes are still WAY too big on him.  I can only say that I got my moneys worth out of the 6 newborn outfits I have.

• DD was 6 lb 12 oz, long and lean, and she just stopped wearing her NB clothes last week (at 10 1/2 weeks). We suspect she'll be in 0-3 for a while, as she was swimming in them before.

So I guess my answer is, it depends on the size of your kid. NB was a waster on my 10 lb 12 oz nephew.

And I would not buy t-shirts.They just ride up or get in the way when you're trying to wrangle LO. We did mostly sleepers and some onesies.

• DD just started wearing 0-3 onesies 2 weeks ago and she can still fit into SOME of her newborn shirts and dresses. it all depends! people told me to get only a few NB outfits and i ended up going to the store to buy more after LO was born because she ended up wearing them for just about 3 months! i had a small baby
  • It depends. I wouldn't buy a ton until you know exactly what you need. I'd aim for more 0-3 clothes since a lot of babies tend to outgrow NB faster. GL.
  • DS wore NB outfits for about 5-6 weeks (he was 7lbs 2oz at birth), and is still mostly in 0-3 month clothes... he can wear some 3-6 month onsies but most 3-6 is still too big (he's 3 months old)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"