Maryland Babies
Options

Air Travel w/ Infant-Toddler

Okay, I know we've discussed this on the nest, but I figured I post this on the bump. DH and I are planning a short visit to St.Louis in October. Annabelle will be a year old. I was just on southwest.com checking out their infant/toddler travel rules. I'm not sure if I should buy her a ticket or just hold her in my lap. Obviously this will be her first flight. A short 3 hour flight. Reading up on Southwest, they basically recommend a car seat, no harness or anything that straps to you.

For those who have traveled with a older infant, did you buy them a seat? Or did you just hold them in your lap? If you have bought a infant seat, how much was it? Southwest does offer infant seats, but I have to call their 1-800 number. 

Re: Air Travel w/ Infant-Toddler

• Options
    When we went to Jamaica when E was 14 months, it was a 3 hour flight and  we took her as a lap child.  I just couldn't see paying another 600 for another seat since we didn't need a car seat once we were there.  An infant fare costs the same as a regular fare.  We just traveled at Ella's nap time and bedtime and she slept most of the flights.  It was slightly a PITA for me b/c she of course slept on me, but overall it was fine.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageKathrynMD:
    When we went to Jamaica when E was 14 months, it was a 3 hour flight and  we took her as a lap child.  I just couldn't see paying another 600 for another seat since we didn't need a car seat once we were there.  An infant fare costs the same as a regular fare.  We just traveled at Ella's nap time and bedtime and she slept most of the flights.  It was slightly a PITA for me b/c she of course slept on me, but overall it was fine.

Annabelle doesn't really have a schedule nap time, it's whenever she goes down. I really don't want to pay another full fare price. I was going to pick a time during the day, that's when she is the best. Haha.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good Luck! I would think that Annabelle might have a more regular nap time by the time she is 1.  John still pretty much naps whenever he's tired too, but in the last few weeks it's kind of been loosely around the same time and typically 3 times a day.  From what I remember being a nanny, by 1 the little boy I watch took a 2 hour nap around 2 and if it was a really bad day a quick one in the morning, but only sometimes. I don't know if it's possible to buy an open ticket for the day that you can schedule the time for later?  Or maybe when it gets close you can see if you can switch flights if need be?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ucgraducgrad member
    I'd probably do lap but be annoyed with it. Sophia has gotten so squirmy, she'll probably be trying to poke the person sitting next to us. But, if you put Tim as a buffer, (or Annabelle isn't squirmy) you should be golden. Also, when I flew Southwest with Sophia over Christmas, the plane wasn't full, and they let me put her in a seat with the carseat. I think SW can be more lenient than other airlines since the seats aren't assigned.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We took Eloise as a lap baby until she turned 2 and was too old to be a lap baby.  We haven't flown since, but she already is signed up for her Southwest miles.

We fly Southwest a lot (Eloise has flown them to Long Island, Austin @ 13 mos, San Diego @ 16 mos and Orlando @ 22 mos?) and never had an issue.  She only got a seat (for free because there were empty seats) on a short flight home from LI.  I would call ahead to let them know you have a lap baby, it won't cost anything but it makes checking in a little simpler.

My big advice is to bring snacks & small toys- crayons, etc. stuff she isn't used to so it's new and exciting to her.  Have a sippy cup or bottle for her to drink from for take-off/landing so she will swallow and her ears won't "pop."  I nursed Eloise for a long time and always nursed her for take-off/landing and we never had issues. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

We have had both boys as lap babies on Southwest and we never had a problem. Like PPs have said, if the flights are not full you can always put her in her own seat, just make sure you bring your carseat to the gate and ask before boarding if the flight it full. If it is, then they will just gate-check your seat. I think someone said this, but after to purchase your tickets, or sometime before you fly, call the airline and have her added as a lap baby. Southwest has always been pretty helpful when it comes to flying with kids.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Make sure your car seat has the FAA approved sticker.  This is req'd on board an aircraft.  It would stink to lug it to the gate only to have to check it for that reason.  

I work for SWA and I agree with PP.  If there are seats you can feel free to bring your car seat on board.  Have something for your LO to suck on for climb out and descent.  It will help equalize their ear pressure.  You cannot really explain how to do the Valsalva maneuver (plug your nose and pop your ears).  (:  

You will be fine.   

• Options
    ucgraducgrad member
    imagedaisybaby09:

Make sure your car seat has the FAA approved sticker.  This is req'd on board an aircraft.  It would stink to lug it to the gate only to have to check it for that reason.  

I work for SWA and I agree with PP.  If there are seats you can feel free to bring your car seat on board.  Have something for your LO to suck on for climb out and descent.  It will help equalize their ear pressure.  You cannot really explain how to do the Valsalva maneuver (plug your nose and pop your ears).  (:  

You will be fine.   

Haha, I don't even know how to do the Valsava maneuver. I've seen people do it and it is just so foreign to me!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedaisybaby09:

You will be fine.   

Oh I checked her carseat and it's not FFA approved. That was easy. I already made up my mind. 

• Options
    Not to scare anyone, but my husband is a pilot and he recommends a seat for every child.  Think about it, you never know when turbulance will hit and how tightly are you going to be holding the child at all times.  The last thing you want is for the plane to drop a bit and have the child hit their head on the overhead or worse because you weren't holding them tightly.  You're buckled in and weigh enough not to fly up too much but the baby can be seriously hurt.  He's seen quite a few bumps and scrapes on lap kids but never knows what happens when they leave the plane.  But, everyone needs to make the decision for themselves.
  • Options
    So I haven't had a chance to read all of the previous posts so please forgive me if there is a repeat.  I wouldn't buy a separate seat but I would take your LO's car seat with you.  If there is an empty seat on the plane then SW will let you have it for free.  If not, then you can just gate check your car seat.  Have a great time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"